Question about modular power supply.

tanxsora

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
So I built my system about 9 months ago and I still dont know a lot. My question is this, if i have a modular power supply and have 1 sata power connector plugged in, can i have my dvd burner and my hard drive plugged into it? A friend at work that builds systems told me this is the case but I have not found this said anywhere else so is he misinforming me or is he correct?

Solution
Yes - if the power cord has 2 connectors on it then it can run a DVD drive and HDD on the same one - Neither the DVD drive or HDD will use much power so using a split cable will not effect anything - on the other hand you do not want to use any type of split on the cable going to your video card since the video card will use a lot of power and having it split to some other component could cause instability if both components are in full use - (ie. on older IDE HDDs some people would use the same power cable for the video card and the HDD and then have problems with crashes when in a game and using both heavily !)
Yes - if the power cord has 2 connectors on it then it can run a DVD drive and HDD on the same one - Neither the DVD drive or HDD will use much power so using a split cable will not effect anything - on the other hand you do not want to use any type of split on the cable going to your video card since the video card will use a lot of power and having it split to some other component could cause instability if both components are in full use - (ie. on older IDE HDDs some people would use the same power cable for the video card and the HDD and then have problems with crashes when in a game and using both heavily !)

Solution