Very slow finding internet games

drew

Hi all....

I have had this problem from day 1 with Linux, but as I normally only
play on the dedicated server I setup for my colleagues it is not a
problem, but I thought I would ask if anyone knows how to fix this.....

When I go to the browser to find internet games the querying of the
master server is fine, but when it comes to pinging the servers things
slow down massively. The mouse will only move about once a minute, and
keystrokes the same (move mouse, wait a minute to move again, press
button, wait a min for button press to register (you get the picture)
the server pings take ages, it take 10 minutes to ping 5% of the
servers. Pings pretty much all show as 11994 !!! If I connect to a
server the ping and gameplay is as it should be.

The problem is not with my network or router as it works fine with
windows XP, I am not running any kind of firewall or routing etc on the
Linux box. It is a plain Mandrake 9.2 with UT 4.36 from Loki. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Drew

Meltdown

drew enlightened us with:
> When I go to the browser to find internet games the querying of the
> master server is fine, but when it comes to pinging the servers things
> slow down massively.

Weird. Can you play a botmatch? What hardware do you have?

> It is a plain Mandrake 9.2 with UT 4.36 from Loki.

Should work fine, but we can't tell you anything until you describe your
hardware.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

drew

MeltDown wrote:
> drew enlightened us with:
>
>>When I go to the browser to find internet games the querying of the
>>master server is fine, but when it comes to pinging the servers things
>>slow down massively.
>

> Weird. Can you play a botmatch? What hardware do you have?
>

>>It is a plain Mandrake 9.2 with UT 4.36 from Loki.
>

> Should work fine, but we can't tell you anything until you describe your
> hardware.
>
> MeltDown

Yup, botmatch is fine, infact all gameplay whether local, network or
internet is fine... just slows to a crawl when pinging servers on the
browser, even if I add a server IP to my faves manually it shows with a
ridiculously high ping. If I connect to that server the ingame ping is
normal.

My machine is an Athlon 1200 with 512Mb, 32Mb ATI Rage Fury and 40Gb
7200RPM ATA 133 HDD. (ADSL BTW)

drew <drew@xxxrileyelf.co.uk> Blessed us with

> Hi all....
>
> I have had this problem from day 1 with Linux, but as I
> normally only play on the dedicated server I setup for my
> colleagues it is not a problem, but I thought I would ask if
> anyone knows how to fix this.....

I am just Doh! clueless when it comes to Linux but have you
heard of mod called *EavyServerBrowser*? That is its main
feature is to speed up the pinging and browsing of servers.
Try this link and look on the right hand side of the page
for the Eavyserverbrowser. It is a .umod file and once it's
installed it's hands free and nothing to configure just
install it and forget it.

http://eavy.beyondunreal.com/

HTH

Red leader I've got your back.

Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
in the ass with it!

drew

JHall wrote:
> drew <drew@xxxrileyelf.co.uk> Blessed us with
>

>>Hi all....
>>
>>I have had this problem from day 1 with Linux, but as I
>>normally only play on the dedicated server I setup for my
>>colleagues it is not a problem, but I thought I would ask if
>>anyone knows how to fix this.....
>

> I am just Doh! clueless when it comes to Linux but have you
> heard of mod called *EavyServerBrowser*? That is its main
> feature is to speed up the pinging and browsing of servers.
> Try this link and look on the right hand side of the page
> for the Eavyserverbrowser. It is a .umod file and once it's
> installed it's hands free and nothing to configure just
> install it and forget it.
>

> http://eavy.beyondunreal.com/
>

> HTH

Sounds like a nice mod... only I cannot even get the damn umodpack
utility to install :-( without this I cannot install the browser mod.
anyone offer any other help?

Thanks
Drew.

Meltdown

drew enlightened us with:
> Sounds like a nice mod... only I cannot even get the damn umodpack
> utility to install :-( without this I cannot install the browser mod.
> anyone offer any other help?

Well, if you tell us what you've tried, and why you can't get the thing
to install, maybe we might.