Can single core amd 64 3400+ 2.4 ghz handle gt 240?

hsh2489

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I have some extra computers that are going to be used as htpc.

It will be connected to 46" 1920x1080p 120hz lcd tv.

The computer's spec I believe is:

AMD athlon 64 3400+ 2.4 ghz

MSI MS-7145 motherboard (It's got one PCI-e x16 1.0? I guess)

DDR PC 2700 333Mhz 256mb+512mb ram

160gb 7200rpm IDE HDD

288 watt minor brand psu

1 dvd rw

Can this CPU or PSU handle if I throw a evga GT 240 sc in it?

I will be watching 1080p-videos and mabye blu-ray movies.

If you use something like VLC for playback then the DXVA function will mean the GPU is used more than the CPU but like Enzo Matrix I too would be worried about the PSU.

take that TV go to the local shop and trade it in for a smaller TV and a newer computer or several computer components.... seriously.
cpu, RAM, HDD, power supply and motherboard need to go.
might as well get rid of the DVD RW and make it a clean sweep.
it's probably a slow 8x and is IDE.
say, "pawn shop trade".
What on earth are you on about? Smaller TV? Why would the size of the screen matter?

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
take that TV go to the local shop and trade it in for a smaller TV and a newer computer or several computer components.... seriously.
cpu, RAM, HDD, power supply and motherboard need to go.
might as well get rid of the DVD RW and make it a clean sweep.
it's probably a slow 8x and is IDE.
say, "pawn shop trade".

The TV's screen size doesn't matter... Any 720p TV will have the same resolution, and the same goes for 480p and 1080p. The screen size makes zero difference.

Back on topic, I'd buy a new PSU. They're not that expensive, and it takes the risk out of this. I think that this rig would be capable of playing HD content, assuming you set everything up correctly.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
If you intend to use this computer as a htpc ONLY then normally the heaviest thing this pc would be doing is that it will be playing blu-ray movies. and personally i dont think u should go for the gt 240. just get ati radeon 4350, which is 100% capable of running blu-ray movies without a problem. and the money u save, just get a decent psu. do keep in mind that u wont need a heavy psu, just get any psu that is atleast 350W and from a known brand. and i think u are ready to go. hope i helped

try to find a dual core cpu to fit that motherboard on ebay. I think it will struggle with blueray. I installed win7 on my dads athlon 64 3500+ with a geforce gt210 (enough to use aero) and the OS alone is just not responsive enough for my liking. Never tried to play HD video on it though, it'll probably work, but as I said its not much fun to use. oh, and your ram, get more of it.

I assume you are running windows xp, so 768mb of ram is more than enough for your uses. But finding a good socket 939 dual core might be an idea and would be worth the upgrade if you could find it.
Another thing, which I actually should have caught: What are your current graphics? More than likely, they are sufficient if you have a dedicated card from the 939 days.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
^The mobo is a s754, so there's no chance of a dual core upgrade.

As Lordszone said, any recent graphics card should work fine (it doesn't have to be high end), especially if you want to offload decoding to the gpu (using VLC or MPC-HC). What you need is a more powerful psu (as stated by many above me).

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007

I'm mostly worried about the quality/age/etc. of the supply. I'd hate to see him get a nice HTPC running only to have the PSU fail and possibly cause damage to the rest of his hardware. It's cheap insurance if you ask me. A new supply will be more efficient as well, so it'll use less power :)

logainofhades

Titan
I had a single core k8 and an HD3870 that I tried using awhile back and it did not work out so well for me for even 720p. I currently use an unlocked sempron 140 with the same HD3870 and no issues at all. Probably be best selling the system you have or part it out and sell the parts and getting a better system. Maybe scour craigslist for a decent used dual core machine if you are needing to get something cheap that just works. Another option is if you can find ASRock 4CoreDual cheap on ebay and pair it with a cheap E2xxx series pentium dual core. It would allow you to use all your current hardware at the very least. It all depends on what kind of budget you have. I also agree with the others about just getting a low end 5xxx or 4xxx series card. GT240 is really overkill if all you intend to do is watch video. I am only using an HD3870 because it was just old hardware I had lying around after I upgraded my main rig to a HD4870 last year. My whole HTPC is mostly old hardware I had lying around with the exception of the board and cpu.