Sign in with
Your question

No post with vid card installed

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2010 2:51:49 AM

I have a new build i put together, when i install the video card i do not get any beeps, i want to assume i have a bad video card but i want to see if anyone has any other suggestion before i RMA it. setup below

i have gone through the trouble shooting guide that helped me get some beeps going

gigabyte 890fx ud5
sapphire hd 5770
antec tp 650
amd athlon 2 x3
-----------
thats all that is installed currently , thnx for any imput.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 6:31:22 AM

If you get the normal one long beep and two or three short beeps without the video card (normal), either the video card is bad or the PSU cannot support the load.

The first thing I would do is try the video card in another computer.

The second thing I would do is try to test the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of similar capacity. If you cannot do that, borrow a DMM to measure the
voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. Focus on the 12 volt (yellow) wires.
m
l
!