MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) Question

igotsharingan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I have been reading the reviews on newegg about this mobo and they keep mentioning the power loop problem. I wonder if I should change my mind about getting this board and purchase the ASUS P8P67 mobo instead.

This is my very first computer build and I plan to go with the i5 2500k.

What should I do?

igotsharingan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
My problem with asus is that I hear they have terrible customer service. Also, the overclocking methods seem much more difficult on the asus compared with the msi boards. I couldn't really find a good guide that uses the asus motherboardto overclock.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
lol..I assure you..everyone has different views of customer service..I've heard horror stories of msi's customer service..but, personally, I have not used them yet so I can't judge...and overclocking on asus boards are super easy..bump up the multiplier and away u go..or, do an auto oc (similar to pressing oc genie on msi boards)

igotsharingan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

Aren't there other settings that I need to enable and disable?

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
no...not necessarily...let's say for instance, you pick up a P8P67 pro motherboard from Asus..in the bios..you simply go to auto oc, and it will shut down your cpu, and find the best possible overclock for your computer based on the chip and ram...or, you can simply oc yourself, which is a better idea, and you just need to tweak a few things for a modest oc.. increase multiplier...set core voltage (if necessary) ...that's about it..there are other things u can do..but in a lot of cases u can leave it on auto..and the motherboard will do the rest

igotsharingan

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

Aren't there settingsthat I need to change to have a stable overclock? For example, I would need to disable the settingthat would underclock the CPU when it is idling or change the vdroop

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
nope...it is not necessary...these are things that some individuals may want to do...however, it depends on you! I'm using an Asus P8P67 deluxe with gskill ram @ 1333 mhz and an h70 on a 2500k...All i did was simply bump the multi to 43 and that's it..of course..i could do more..but, that's if I want lower temps or a higher overclock...most setting can eb set to auto unless the system is unstable or temps are too high..i idle at 28C because I have my system downclock..why have your system running at 4.3 ghz every second when I'm doing something as simple as writing this post to you? You could disable it, but when the system downclocks it saves energy and keeps temps low