How is this psu?

kisshell2

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
That PSU is pretty crappy, Rosewill is neweggs house brand, most of its units arent too good, it also has passive PFC which is a sign of an older design, and no 80+ certification so its not very efficient. Would have suggested paying slightly more for a better quality PSU.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
http://www.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemList=N82E16817341018

700W modular for 59.99 after rebates. I'm not sure how long these will be on sale but I'll sing their praises as long as I can.

These OCZ PSUs recently got reviewed at hardwaresecrets.com as well as johnyguru.com and both lauded them as top of the line. Which for it's price and the fact it's modular, 59.99 is an absolute steal.

I figure it's because OCZ's rep in PSUs isn't formed yet so they are taking a hit on profits right now to build their reputation for quality PSUs. Good news for early adopters!

kisshell2

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Oh noooo :(

I have already brought this with a combo deal !
DAMN!

I know nothing of psu. So what is modular?
Also, will this psu be able to handle ati 5850 with amd 955??????????????

Modular means that some of the cables are removable, this keeps you from having a large bundle of cables you are trying to hide.

Its a decently strong 700W unit and a 5850 with 955 can run on a good 500W unit so you shouldnt have any issues running it, it just might not live as long as a high quality unit will.

kisshell2

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
One more question!!

Will the psu cpst me more electricity bill, compared to low wattage psu than this??
This may be a silly question but as i have told, i have no knowldge of PSU and was rather restless to this buy this combo

The wattage of the PSU doesnt determined how much power it draws from the wall. PSUs are generally most efficient around 50% load and are generally fairly inefficient at really low load like a 200W load on a 1500W unit, a higher efficiency unit will need to draw less power from the wall to deliver the same power to the components. If your unit is 70% efficient and your system needs 400W of DC power you will draw 571W from the wall(400/70%), if your unit is 85% efficient like an 80+ bronze or silver unit you will draw 470W from the wall (400/85%), so its not really the wattage of the unit that determines your power bill, its the efficiency, however the max wattage of the unit determines where on the efficiency curve your typical load lands, so in some cases yes a larger unit can cost you more, but in other cases no it wont.

No. OCZ's reputation has been formed, and it's not too good. Of the other three OCZ PSU lines, one is OK and two are on the low side of so-so. This is their attempt at being mentioned in the same breath as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and PC P&C when people talk about PSU's.

And it's not just about the power costs. At 400 watts and 70% efficiency, that 171 watt difference is changed to heat. And it's about the same heat generated as a pair of 75 watt incandescent light bulbs tucked away in the small metal case.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
According to www.hardwaresecrets.com
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 W proved to be an outstanding mainstream 600 W power supply, surprising us at all and every level.
Voltage regulation from this unit is very tight, with all outputs within 3% from their nominal values (ATX12V specification allows a 5% tolerance – 10% for -12 V). And ripple and noise levels, although not as low as we’d like to see, were still below the maximum allowed.

For a 59.99 price tag, I recommend it without question