Question about the Asus P8P67-M Pro MoBo

G

So yea, I recently built my first computer with this sweet motherboard and everything worked and was up and running in no time. I'd highly recommend this board for any first timers cause it's a sweet board with a lot of features.

Anyway, I was wondering how an SLI configuration on this board would work. I currently have an Asus GTS 450 and I want to put another one in to SLI my system; what I'm wondering is what PCI-E slot I put the second GTS 450 into...do I put it in PCI-E x16 2 or x16 3? The reason I ask this is because putting the GTS 450 into the second PCIE-E slot seems to be a bit of a tight squeeze but putting it in the third slot would leave the SLI configuration underpowered because the third slot only runs at x4. The schematics are in the link below.

zoom_pic.php

Solution
You will have to use the number 2 slot because of the speed limitation on the number 3 slot. Slots 1 and 2 have the normal spacing with the PCIe x1 slot in between them and are fine for dual slot cards.
If you use slots 1 & 2, each will operate at X8.

Using slots 1 & 3, they will operate at X16, and X4. When in sli, I think you will be gated by the slowest speed, in this case X4. X4 will lose you some 20%(?) of native X16 performance.

Either deal with the cooling issues, or sell your GTS450(for about $80) on e-bay, and replace it with a single GTX560ti or such.

If your GTX450 is eligible, from EVGA, look into their 90 day trade-up program.

G

K, thanks guys =] Oh one last thing, as far as cooling goes, would 2x 200mm side and top fans be enough to cool an SLI or should i switch the 200mm side fan for 2x 120mm fans? I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case.