General Power Supply Question

Phoenixlight

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi there, i've looked around for an answer to this question as it seems rather straight forward but I couldn't find it so if I have a computer that requires 650w to run but has an 850w power supply will I be consuming 650w or 850w?

Phoenixlight

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Ok thanks, I thought it would be like that but I just wanted to check as I'd rather not waste power but I'd like the option to put in a second graphics cards at a later point and so would rather take a larger power supply.

That's the correct approach while selecting the PSU.. Your current setup and your future upgrade plans.. In any case, its always a safe approach to choose a PSU from a quality brand with power rating which is little higher than what required by your current and/or future system plans..

Timop

Distinguished
To note, you can run two GTX460/5850s fin on a nice 650W, so make sure how many watt you need first.

Headroom is a good thing, more money in your wallet is better.

Very common question. No one seems to consider that his 400 - 800 watt (or so) PSU is plugged into a wall outlet that can supply 1800 to 2400 watts, and his PSU doesn't explode from that. :)

Same principle.