Sign in with
Your question

I want to gut a Dell 2350 and rebuild on the cheap

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2010 4:28:04 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE
: About a month or more depending on what's on sale, just seeking advice first.

BUDGET RANGE: $200 or less, if possible, to keep the bride from blowing a gasket since I just dumped some coin on my first build two weeks ago (this stuff can get addictive if you don't watch out).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: internet usage, general use, no graphics-hungry gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED
: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, optical drives, psu (have a new cheap one that I didn't use - 350w)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS
: any

OVERCLOCKING: No

X-fire/SLI: N0 - would be fine with acceptable onboard graphics

I want to know if it is possible to gut my 10yr. old Dell Dimension 2350 and rebuild it?

Can I use the Windows XP OS from the current HDD so I don't have to purchase another OS with the understanding that I'd probably get another HDD since storage is already an issue on the current drive. (Linux probably not an option for the kids' computer).

Essentially only seeking new Mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD if this will work.

I'm obviously not looking for any speed demon, just seeing if I can rehash some of what I've got to keep the budget at a near bare minimum to get the kid's computer a new(er) lease on life for another 5 years or so for its intended general computing use.

Is this feasible?
July 9, 2010 5:38:01 AM

First you need to make sure you can use a different Mobo and that Dell case. Back then they were all proprietary and you had to use their parts when upgrading.

I'm not to sure as to what you'll find for $200, but Dell has some basic systems starting at $250.
Newegg & Fry's alway's has combo's.
July 9, 2010 6:47:39 AM

If it eating your friend, you don't need to run very fast. It's busy eating. :) 

$200 is a pretty tight budget. I'm afraid I agree with Rogue. At that price point, I think that you would be better off going to one (or several) of the big box stores and looking at really inexpensive systems.
Related resources
July 9, 2010 11:46:21 AM

Something like this:

Combo Deal:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ECS G41T-M(2.0) LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $100 - $20 rebate= $80

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $48

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $44

All with free shipping totals $192 - $20 rebate = $182
July 10, 2010 1:18:28 AM

look at nevergive7 on youtube he does a great 200 dell remake and just look at his channel and find his dell overhaul videos for some part ideas
!