Sign in with
Your question

How long before the I7's see a price cut?

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2010 11:59:23 AM

just wondering.

More about : long price cut

a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 12:29:31 PM

They already have.
The i7 950 is now $300. Go get it! :D 
It was previously something around $500. That happened last week. If you want to know when are they going to drop further, that i guess would be happening after SB comes out.
m
l
September 6, 2010 12:32:22 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
They already have.
The i7 950 is now $300. Go get it! :D 
It was previously something around $500. That happened last week. If you want to know when are they going to drop further, that i guess would be happening after SB comes out.

SB is the competition?

When does that come out?
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
September 6, 2010 12:32:43 PM

Just look at the previous occupances and draw your conclusion.. Like what happened with the core 2 series pricing once the i series got launched and streamlined..
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:09:52 PM

Emperus said:
Just look at the previous occupances and draw your conclusion.. Like what happened with the core 2 series pricing once the i series got launched and streamlined..

I didn't see it. How long do u think that will take to happen in the current market?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 1:24:45 PM

Well... SB comes out... i7 goes into a price cut... then finally phases out eventually (at drop dead prices). This cycle would continue when new processor line ups come in of every company. But in this case since the i7's/i5's are a very potent proccy, it may take a while longer for them to phase out and come down to cheap prices.
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:41:01 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Well... SB comes out... i7 goes into a price cut... then finally phases out eventually (at drop dead prices). This cycle would continue when new processor line ups come in of every company. But in this case since the i7's/i5's are a very potent proccy, it may take a while longer for them to phase out and come down to cheap prices.

Is it worth it to pay $50 more for a I7 950 vs an I7 930?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 1:43:46 PM

That's a tough call. If you want the extra clock speed then yes. But $50 is way too much.

But i checked newegg and the price difference is only $15! That is worth going for.
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:46:11 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
That's a tough call. If you want the extra clock speed then yes. But $50 is way too much.

But i checked newegg and the price difference is only $15! That is worth going for.

the 930 is on sale at microcenter

Would it be worth it for me to buy the 930 @ $200 and keep it for 1 or 2 months until I buy all the parts I need for a build?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 1:48:49 PM

I think that price would be the future price of the i7 930. Is it something around $240?
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:08:36 PM

$200 microcenter
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:26:23 PM

wats the rush 4 the upgrade?
if u can wait a while, then go for SB or Bulldozer...
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:31:33 PM

p4nz3rm4d said:
wats the rush 4 the upgrade?
if u can wait a while, then go for SB or Bulldozer...

how long is a while?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 2:57:09 PM

December/January.
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:15:22 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
December/January.

good enough. I'll save up my money till then,.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 11:50:26 PM

Are the SB CPU's going to be i series or is it going to be something completely new?
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
September 7, 2010 12:50:09 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Are the SB CPU's going to be i series or is it going to be something completely new?

Sandy Bridge still uses the I3/I5/I7 names, just uses 4 digit model numbers instead of the current 3. Example of this would be the I5 2600, not sure if that model number is correct or not, just used to give an example.

m
l
September 7, 2010 6:25:36 AM

i heard that Bulldozer would be a few months delayed after SB...???
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
September 7, 2010 6:40:41 AM

Latest rumor on BD release is second half of 2011 now. Due to the problems with GF and the newest version of SOI, many are guessing very late 2011.
m
l
September 7, 2010 6:44:03 AM

...dang :-(
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
September 7, 2010 6:57:43 AM

Hmmm. I have two perfectly adequate OC'd C2Q systems. Looks like I get to skip the i5/i7 processor generation.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
September 7, 2010 7:34:35 AM

LOL, I do just fine with my C2D E6600. The most CPU intensive task I do is convert a 1.4GB .avi to DVD once a month or so. Doing this AND burning it to DVD at 4x speed using Nero takes just over one hour. I know if I had a quad it would be faster, but 75-80min is fine for me.
m
l
September 7, 2010 7:41:02 AM

im just tired of seeing guys with better parts than me @ lans...
Now(in a few months) ill nuke their i7 systems!!!
HAHAHAHA!!!
First the LANS, then the WORLD!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2010 8:28:57 AM

^^Get outta here.. you idiot!

Hell_storm's post refers to a familiar spam advertising pest -- I've deleted that post and banned the spammer from all forums. He'll be back so all please report such activity. Spam clutters the forum with irrelevant nonsense-- and some offers are just scams.
m
l
February 1, 2011 2:29:29 PM

Microcenter has the i7-950 for $199.99 now. The one by me has 20 in stock. I bought the i7-930 last march for more than that. I also purchased there 2yr replacement plan so I can get the 950 without having to pay a penny extra. After reading a few forum posts it seems like a lot of people say there isn’t really any difference except that the 950 has a 23x multiplier. I noticed that some said, since the price started coming down on the 950 it is worth getting. Since i already have the 930 I was wondering what people thought. Should I go and upgrade or should I just keep what I have and not use my 2yr replacement plan?

m
l
February 1, 2011 3:50:32 PM

Honestly, the 930 is the best bang for the buck and the clock speeds dont really mean much between the two if you know two cents worth of over clocking.

The 980X wont ever really come down in price, and it could be 4-5 years really... I draw this conclusion based on any "Extreme" processor. Any extreme draws 2 audieneces the most; professionals and idiots. Professionals can actually use the 980 to its full potential while the rest are throwning money away on power they will never use or see.

In your case the 950 isnt worth getting because once you hit aruond 4.2 ghz you barriers and obstacles are going to be nearly identical and you will not see the differences, and minutely on benchmarks.

2 yr replacement plan? Im sure those are only effective in the event of a defect as they will test the processor upon an attempted return. They will tell you they are not able to reproduce the error and send you home. You will then be out money for more TIM and time. However, if they will upgrade you absolutely free and no questions asked then hell, go for it!

Beer would be the money much more well spent!
m
l
February 1, 2011 11:37:47 PM

saintjah said:
Honestly, the 930 is the best bang for the buck and the clock speeds dont really mean much between the two if you know two cents worth of over clocking.

The 980X wont ever really come down in price, and it could be 4-5 years really... I draw this conclusion based on any "Extreme" processor. Any extreme draws 2 audieneces the most; professionals and idiots. Professionals can actually use the 980 to its full potential while the rest are throwning money away on power they will never use or see.

In your case the 950 isnt worth getting because once you hit aruond 4.2 ghz you barriers and obstacles are going to be nearly identical and you will not see the differences, and minutely on benchmarks.

2 yr replacement plan? Im sure those are only effective in the event of a defect as they will test the processor upon an attempted return. They will tell you they are not able to reproduce the error and send you home. You will then be out money for more TIM and time. However, if they will upgrade you absolutely free and no questions asked then hell, go for it!

Beer would be the money much more well spent!

The replacement plan they offer is great. It covers everything except the case and PSU. Only catch is that i can never go over the total of the original purchase. So basically i can exchange every part once no questions asked or one part over and over again until i reach my total cost. My plan is good till next March . Im probably better off waiting till something goes wrong instead.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 2:53:59 AM

Knowing Intel, probably when it reaches EOL. Some Core 2's still sell for almost the same price they did years ago. I've been wanting to score an E8400 and OC it for my son to build a light gaming rig, and they're still $150+ new. They will milk every last dollar before they drop the price.
m
l
!