Migrating User folder to hdd from ssd

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
So for some reason i thought this would be easier than i thought just a hand full of settings changes but it appears more complicated.

So anyways down to the question. I've recently purchased a samsung 830 ssd for my laptop and moved my old hard drive to the cd drive in a hard drive caddy. So my ssd is 128GB (aka 119GB) and i want to use it primarly for windows and the majority of my programs. I would like to move my Users folder to my old HDD so that i can take advantage of it's relatively large size. If someone would be wonderful enough to point my in the right direction to a guide to achieve this, or if it's simple enough to write here by all means.

Also some other relevant information. I'm currently on the Windows 8 consumer preview. yesterday i re-installed windows so it's pretty fresh, I'm also not opposed to reinstalling again if it simplifies the process. Currently I have my HDD as drive E and it's been formatted but is completely blank.

If i need to provide any more information i'd be glad to help

In the explorer goto c:\users\<my user>\my documents and right click on it. Under properties there should be an tab named path. You can change the location there. By clicking ok you will be asked if all documents should be copied to the new location.

^Although that only applies to the My Documents sub-folder, it looks like the other folders in the users\<username> subdirectory behave similarly. Just repeat that process for each folder (e.g. My Music, My Pictures, etc) you want to move.