as mentioned in the title, my wd caviar black 320 gb stop working suddenly
the bios just doesn't recognize it anymore
1. it is 5 years old
2. i just formatted it
3. it is the os hdd (windows 7 32 bit sp1)
4. it worked just fine for 2 days after the format
steps i took:
1. tried connect to other cables
2. double checked the connections of the cables
3. tried it on another computer - again the bios their won't recognize it
4. the bios on the other computer is up to date
Please help me here: my B.A, and M.A. documents is on this HDD with no backup (what was i thinking!!)
ah!, another thing: the HDD has 2 partitions, one with the os and the other with all my files on it...
it is out of grantee but i don't care about the money - i just want my files!
If the BIOS of two different systems won't see it, it may have opted for early retirement. Another possibility would be to install it into an external USB enclosure and see if you can access it then. If so, make backups!
If your need for the files is great, contact a data-recovery company like Ontrack. They're not cheap, but their recovery rates are very good.