23.6" AOC 2436 vwh1080p monitor, motherboard/CPU unable to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackrose666

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Hi all, been a long time reader and have got lots of valuable info from this great site, I have always been able to get PC problems resolved by searching this or other PC related sites, however I have been trying to fix this issue for several weeks now and can not come up with a solution, so I will get straight to the point.

I recently bought an AOC 2436vwh monitor, I have two PC's connected to it, the one connected via analogue runs fine, however with the other one using a DVI-->HDMI cable(monitor has no DVI input) I have not been able to get it to run at the full resolution of 1920x1080.

At first I had a Radeon 9250 video card, after doing some googling it became apparent this card was not capable of 1920x1080 resolution via the DVI output.
So I picked up a Nvidia 7600gs 256mb agp card(nice and cheap from ebay), this should be able to run the monitor at 1920x1080 from the DVI connection?

However I have still been unable to get it to run at 1920x1080 over the DVI connection.

I can get the desktop set to 1920x1080 but as soon as I do anything the image on the monitor starts to drop in & out, I have tried different settings, different driver versions and even powerstrip at the suggestion of a friend, but I still can't get it to run stable at anything above 1440x900 resolution.

The PC using the DVI-->HDMI connection details are:
CPU - Intel P4 524 3.06GHz socket 775 - 533MHz fsb
m/board - Gigabyte GA-81848p775 intel 848p chipset
Video card - Nvidia 256mb 7600gs AGP card
Ram - 1Gb - 2 X 512 DDR400
OS - XP pro SP3 fully updated

Is the above motherboard/cpu combo not capable of supporting this monitor at 1920x1080 from a DVI connection?

I have the seperate power connector on the video card plugged in and it seems to be getting enough power as I don't get any warnings re low power(I read about when this researching video cards)
The ratings for the power supply are:
+3.3v = 30A
+5v = 35A
+12v = 16A

Is this enough power for this system? I also have 3 hard drives and DVD burner in the PC.

FYI if I have the monitor set as the primary monitor(or the only monitor connected) I don't see anything onscreen until the windows log on screen, I don't see any of the boot up screens no matter what resolution I set the monitor to.

The second PC i have is:
CPU - Intel P4 northwood 2.6GHz socket 478 - 800MHz fsb
m/board - Intel s875wp1 intel 875p chipset
video card - Nvidia FX5200
Ram - 2 Gb - 4 x 512 DDR400
OS - XP pro SP3 fully updated

Would I be better of putting the Nvidia 7600gs into this second PC?
Would it be able to run the monitor at 1920x1080 via DVI if the problem is the other motherboard/cpu combo?
I would have tried it in this PC however I would have to swap power supplies around or get a new one as the one in this PC has only 10A on the 12v rail, I assume this would not be enough for the 7600gs.

Or do I need to do a complete upgrade to support this monitor at 1920x1080 via DVI or HDMI output?

I don't do any gaming, the PC's are used for general use, and basic graphics/charting programs.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

p.s I hope this is the right section!

Blackrose666

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Hi, thanks for the response.
The cable connections all seem good and secure.
But to be honest that is the only thing I have not tried is a completely different cable.

It does not seem to be related to the cable as different drivers had different results and it was more stable when using powerstrip.

However I will obtain another cable/adapter to test it out and will report back.

Cheers

loneninja

Distinguished
Could you possibly hook the DVI-HDMI adapter up to another computer that you know is working fine? I suspect that adapter may be to blame, but I have nothing concrete to back that up, just something to check and eliminate from possible causes.

Blackrose666

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Ok I went and got a DVI to HDMI adapter plug today and used one of the HDMI cables I have in my HT set-up that I know can support 1080p.

Hooked it all up turned the PC on and the boot up screens popped up on the monitor, a good sign as these were not showing with the other cable.
I booted the PC, changed the settings from 1440x900 to 1920x1080, desktop comes up no problems so far, I open firefox browse to a couple of sites still not a problem everything working well.
I then started up powerDVD and started watching a DVD again not a single problem.

Have been running for about an hour now with the resolution set to 1920x1080 and everything seems fine.

So it definitely was the DVI-->HDMI cable that I had that could not support 1920x1080 resolution :fou:

Thanks for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Now I can get rid of the second monitor and get my desk cleaned up lol

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.