Faulty GPU, but how do i prove it?

bennieboi101

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey guys

I have a problem on my hands. For some time now my gigabyte HD 4890 graphics card has has some issues. One of them is anytime i open a 3D intensive game like Starcraft 2, COD4, World of Warcraft, Grid the capacitors will scream their heads off to no end. Now this doesn’t effect performance as far as i can tell as running 3D mark through it is fine and scores as it should, but is mighty annoying and shouldn’t be doing that. Just today i got my first blue screen of death saying physical mem dump and windows will no longer start-up now in normal or safe mode, I’m a computer techy by trade and i know an error like that is either GPU or RAM. Memtest says my memory is fine so it’s not that and quicktech says that the key points of the mobo is also ok.

What i need to know is what can i run through my graphics card to see that it is faulty? Im 90% sure that the GPU is the problem but i don’t want to go and send it to gigabyte only to have them slug me a no fault found fee cause i was too stupid to realise the problem is elsewhere as i know sometimes u can’t see the problem for looking.

So basically what I’m after is some form of boot CD that i can check my graphics card with or evey something i can run through it to 100% kill it so i can send it to gigabyte as it is still under warranty.

Any ideas fellaz?

Solution
Try to RMA, that is the best simple solution. All you will have to do is contact customer service and they will make a support ticket when you move up to level 2 on up. At some point they will agree to test your card and when you send it it and arrives if the card fails their quality test for functionality they will send a replacement. If they do not have an exact copy to send you they will send a like performance or better card. Time to do this is usually 2 weeks plus.
The problem you have is the choke coils (caps don't squeal) there are a diy solution that you can do but that requires some skill. You can either RMA if you have any warranty, sell it on the second hand market at a loss, or try the DIY. The diy solution basically you have to make your own mini heatsinks that will compliment the stock cooler. If you have any interest I'll post later how to do it.

That kind of screaming says to me that your PSU isnt/wasnt feeding enough power to the card. So what you need to know now, assuming I'm correct which is always open to question with these things ;) Is if you killed the Card or the PSU.
Can you try dropping the card into a friends system to see if it works ok ?
Post the PSU Make/spec/model, just so we can see whats what with that and determine if it should have been ok or not.

Mactronix

Most likely the voltage is fine but it is coil discharge that results in the noise, I have a few cards that do this so I have been down that road. If you got coil squeal in the psu then ditch it quickly, nothing worse than a faulty transformer that could feed the diodes and mosfets with A/C current.

bennieboi101

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
in regards to what both of you said yes the card does get very hot and i would rather RMA then try and add an aftermarket cooler but even still as it is it has a zulman cooler on it doing a pretty good job. Card has PLENTY of power trust me with 100amps on the 12V rail im sure im looking good. Just tested PSU on the tester checks out fine not flux in any line and holds steady power as an antec should.

Card: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3148#ov

PSU: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTc2MQ==

as for putting the card into another system that wont avail me anything i want to be able to go to where i brought it and 100% know that its FUBAR

bennieboi101

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
guys im off for the night i want to thank you in advance for all your help. i will be looking at this tomorrow morning and hope that u will reply if we havent come to a solution.

ben_poole101@hotmail.com is my email if u want to send me links or anything to that effect.

Thank you

Try to RMA, that is the best simple solution. All you will have to do is contact customer service and they will make a support ticket when you move up to level 2 on up. At some point they will agree to test your card and when you send it it and arrives if the card fails their quality test for functionality they will send a replacement. If they do not have an exact copy to send you they will send a like performance or better card. Time to do this is usually 2 weeks plus.

Solution