Sign in with
Your question

Don't know what to do with my SSDs

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2012 7:55:22 PM

Hello,

I've been racking my brain over how to best use my SSDs. I have one Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) 60gb SSD and one Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) 120gb SSD. At first, I reserved the 60gb SSD for WIN7 64bit and other smaller things and had Adobe CS6 on the 120gb SSD. I've noticed that Illustrator doesn't like this set up and I confirmed on the Adobe forum that it would be best to have CS6 installed on the same drive as the OS. So that's what I'll do, but now I'm concerned that other programs (mostly games but probably MS Office and FontLab as well) that I install in the future will require being installed on the OS drive as well. Is this true? Or is this just a feature of Adobe CS6? I've thought about spanning the two volumes to have them recognized as one and so that I can use all 180gb, but I don't want to lose TRIM. Basically, can I still benefit from having a separate drive for my OS (and now CS6), or do all programs and games prefer to be installed on the OS drive?

Thanks for the help!

Tom

More about : ssds

a b å Intel
a c 175 G Storage
September 7, 2012 8:05:38 PM

Some programs and apps give you the option of installing where you want, others default to the "C" drive.

I think you are better off using the 120gb for the os and apps that need to go there, and using the 60gb drive for storage that can easily be redirected there.

I am not experienced in spanned volumes, but that might work. I suspect you would not lose "trim" with the latest Z77 drivers, if that is what you have.Still, I think I would keep things separate.

If, in the future, you want to make that 120gb drive 180gb or 240gb, then a simple clone will do the job.

If you have a laptop which can use a ssd, that is a great way to transform it's performance.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:22:39 PM

Hey Geofelt,

I should have mentioned that I have a 1TB HDD for storage. And my mobo is an Asus P9X79 WS, so no Z77.

This sounds kind of dumb, but how will I know if certain programs perform better on the OS drive or not? It seems that most people would keep them separate, like you recommended, but if most programs and apps I install in the future require being installed onto the OS drive like CS6 did, I feel like the other SSD is going to waste.

geofelt said:
Some programs and apps give you the option of installing where you want, others default to the "C" drive.

I think you are better off using the 120gb for the os and apps that need to go there, and using the 60gb drive for storage that can easily be redirected there.

I am not experienced in spanned volumes, but that might work. I suspect you would not lose "trim" with the latest Z77 drivers, if that is what you have.Still, I think I would keep things separate.

If, in the future, you want to make that 120gb drive 180gb or 240gb, then a simple clone will do the job.

If you have a laptop which can use a ssd, that is a great way to transform it's performance.

m
l
a b å Intel
a c 175 G Storage
September 7, 2012 8:27:01 PM

I don't think program performance will differ at all, regardless of which ssd it is installed on.
Your task will be to find something convenient to put on the 60gb ssd.

If you are editing, where you read one file, process it, and output to a second file, it might be good to separate the two files on different drives.
m
l
!