Motherboard upgrade question.

Ash778

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I've just recently received my new 1155 motherboard, and I was going to replace my old 775 one a bit later. Now I've been getting mixed signals on this with some people saying "Oh you need to reinstall windows" and others saying "Oh you don't need to do anything but plug in the new mobo"

This is my first real motherboard upgrade and I was wondering besides removing the old one and putting the new one in, what else do I need to do? Thanks.

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

It depends upon the OS and revision of that OS. In any Windows 7, just move the OS HDD/SSD and have the LATEST MOBO drivers downloaded and ready to be installed. In other words the drivers of Windows 7 are available to the New MOBO, but as in any install you need to use the drivers the MOBO provided.

Don't use the CD/DVD that came with the MOBO, chances are they're older -- get the latest from the MOBO's Mfg's website.

Older OSes like XP might be a problem. You can install the drivers ahead of time then move the HDD; your 'old 775' will/should ignore them. On XP the SATA drivers are the most important!

Q - What OS was on the 'old 775'?

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
fresh install of windows... some testing of the cpu if you want..but, mainlyjust re-install the os..particularly because you may experience problems down the road if u dont do it..(blue screens of death..system crashes, etc)