Problem with dual monitor on my new asus 5850

gtgamewizard

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
hi all,

ive got a little problem, so i just got a new videocard the asus hd 5850 direct cu, and i used to have a asus 8800 gt top, my 8800 had 2 dvi output, so i buyd 2 pc monitors(a 22" and a 19") now i have the 5850 but that card has 1 dvi entrance and 1 hdmi, so i thought so prob i'll put 1 in the hdmi output, put now the hdmi doesn't work, i really dont know wy.
my monitors are both vga so i connected a hdmi/dvi converter to the hdmi output and on that concverter i put a dvi/vga converter on that, and then the cable from my monitor.

so now u know how it is at this moment, i really dont know if iths a connection froblem or software froblem or mayby something else? :pt1cable:

frendly grtz gtgamewizard :hello:
rly hope u guys can help!! :D

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
What resolution does your monitor output?

VGA monitors are typically not 1080p, to use HDMI your going to need a 1080p monitor.

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Go to your display settings in the control panel and see if you can enable the second monitor. Sometimes HDMI is iffy about "Plug and Play". If you have Windows XP, it won't be "plug and play".

gtgamewizard

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

i have windows 7, mayby have an other suggestion? :)
grtz gtgamewizard

gtgamewizard

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

the monitor i want to connect to the hdmi is an 19" and is at max of 1440 x 900 pixels.
aru u sure that if i buy a 1080p monitor that this will work?

Jamrock

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I am not sure, but a direct HDMI to HDMI connection will have a much better chance of working than the 3 different connection types you are current using. The VGA/DVI/HDMI converters, especially since you are using different ones for each connection may not be boding well with your setup. It is hard to say.

Do you still have your 8800GT?

I remember there being some issues with HDMI on my 5970, and if you searched google you would see it has happened to some other ATI users as well. It just did not work.

Try this:

1. Update your video card drivers.

2. Change the resolution on the problem monitor beforehand to make sure it is not outputting in a resolution your monitor doesn't support. Try 1280x720.

3. Put in your 8800GT and see if the HDMI connection will work, use your converters.

4. Find someplace you can return the monitor if needed (or not, as i'm sure you wouldn't mind a higher-resolution monitor anyhow, if you can afford it) and try that. Make sure it has an HDMI connection on the monitor.