Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Purchasing an SDD for my computer

Last response: in Storage
September 8, 2012 1:34:07 AM

I'm looking into purchasing a SSD for my computer to install my OS on and was wondering if it is just a better idea to buy a SATA ll since my motherboard is SATA ll compatible, and not SATA lll. I've read a lot of SATA lll's are compatible with SATA ll motherboards, however there is a drop in performance since the motherboard is SATA ll. Since reading the articles here, I wanted to get a Kingston Hyper X or Samsung, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary since my computer wouldn't be able to utilize it's full capabilities. I then found this on sale this week at Frys http://www.frys.com/product/6799855?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN... and was wondering if this was just a better way to go since it's much cheaper and it'll do just what I need it to do.

Best solution

a c 138 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 8, 2012 1:37:15 AM

SATA 6Gb/s devices are compatible with SATA 3Gb/s motherboards, and vice versa. The speed improvement of any SSD over a mechanical drive makes the difference between the two SATA levels irrelevant.
In your place, I'd choose a non-Sandfarce drive (like the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4).
Get at least 120GB (111GB formatted) if you can afford it.
September 8, 2012 1:51:53 AM

Onus said:
SATA 6Gb/s devices are compatible with SATA 3Gb/s motherboards, and vice versa. The speed improvement of any SSD over a mechanical drive makes the difference between the two SATA levels irrelevant.
In your place, I'd choose a non-Sandfarce drive (like the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4).
Get at least 120GB (111GB formatted) if you can afford it.

Why do you recommend 120GB? Is 64GB not enough to install the OS and a few games? I don't play video games on my PC very often. Last games I played was Dragon Age 1 & 2, Last Remnant, Worms, Pocket Tanks and Minecraft. I'm just looking to have improved performance for my OS. Also, is the Patriot SSD I posted the link of not good for what I want or a poor SSD?
m
l
Related resources
a c 138 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 8, 2012 2:07:42 AM

You can install the OS, an office suite, and a game or two on a 64GB SSD, but you WILL run out of space on it, and end up wasting time shuffling your applications.
I believe that Patriot uses a Sandforce controller. Those are the ones that have had the most reliability issues. The Samsung and Crucial drives use a Marvell controller.
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:12:30 AM

Onus said:
You can install the OS, an office suite, and a game or two on a 64GB SSD, but you WILL run out of space on it, and end up wasting time shuffling your applications.
I believe that Patriot uses a Sandforce controller. Those are the ones that have had the most reliability issues. The Samsung and Crucial drives use a Marvell controller.

Oh I see. That makes a lot of sense then. I was just reading about the Sandforce and Marvell controllers and I really am steering towards the Marvel Controller instead of the Sandforce. I was close to buying a Kingston HyperX 120 6GB/s since it was $75 after MIR, however, I just found this deal on slickdeals and I think it's a better fit for what I want and what you think would be better. It's a Plextor M5S 128GB http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-128GB-Series-Solid-PX-128...

Would this work?
m
l
a c 138 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 8, 2012 2:48:35 AM

That looks like a decent choice. I've read praise for Plextor, so I'd probably buy one (if I needed another SSD; I just got a Crucial M4).
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:55:26 AM

Onus said:
That looks like a decent choice. I've read praise for Plextor, so I'd probably buy one (if I needed another SSD; I just got a Crucial M4).

Sounds like a done deal for a SSD search. Now on to my video card and the rebuild is complete. Thanks again for the help and advice.
m
l
a c 138 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 8, 2012 12:48:14 PM

yw. If you start a thread about the video card, perhaps I'll stumble into that one too! In any case, have fun with your build.
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:37:56 AM

Best answer selected by nippondrifterae111.
m
l
a c 138 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 18, 2012 1:16:42 AM

Thanks. Once you install a SSD you'll never want to use a system without one.
m
l
!