Solved

Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace

Bought a Seagate Constellation ES on ebay, hooked it up and in every port it sits in. I get the title of this thread. GREAT RIGHT??????? So how can I check it to ensure it is F'd up before I yell at the seller??

Also Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @2.66Ghz
Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo
6 gb Ram (2gb Patriot DDR2-6400, 4gb Ballistix DDR2-6400)
GeForce 9500 GT (1gb DDR2)
80gb Maxtor HDD (I just ordered a 1tb Seagate Constellation to replace this)
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard disk status backup replace
  1. Try a comprehensive SMART diagnostic. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
    http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
  2. I have been working on this very same problem this very minute....
    I got a hard drive that I salveged from a media player system and it has just ONE reallocation error and the threshold is 32....
    I had another hard drive that was having bad cable issues(made SMART errors go thru the roof) and I found something that did something to the SMART thing, but now I can't remember what the program was, but it did do a low level format for starters.

Anyways, so far from what I can tell, you can't erase SMART data unless you go in with an RS-232 serial cable direct into the hard drives' controller... other than that... it sounds like you got sold a Lemon...
  3. Ugg, try this tool: HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool from softpedia.
    This was what I used. It says it recertifies the SMART. After you do the low level format monitor your hard drive with one hdd-scan like the dude above me said for any new bad sectors or other crap.
  4. The seller accepts returns on defective parts. Would it be worth the time and money to fix it or to get the refund. Also.. I paid $60 total for this HDD.
  5. Best answer
    return it and get the money, it's not worth to try to fix HDD... (actually bad SMART could be used as argument to get refund)

edit: to fix mechanical error of HDD need to be in clean dust free rooms totally not worth it IMO.....
  6. I would just return it. IMO buying used hard drives are pretty risky. I bought a couple of 80GB IDE HDDs for $10 each which run great but have over 2,300 days of power on hours. I just wanted a couple of extra storage devices to playback videos on my older PC so it's really no big deal if one of them dies in a year or so.

I suggest however that if you do plan on buying another hard drive, used hard drives are fine for primary use but get a new one for backups and don't use it. It won't be a guarantee that the new drive won't fail but having a new drive generally has a lower fault rate compared to an older drive.
  7. Cool... Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't really have many other people that know much about computers. I'm the only one, but this is my first desktop that I could work on so I need all the advice I can get, so I don't slip up... again... haha Thanks guys
  8. Yeah, imo it's pretty much common sense you wouldn't want to store any important data on a old clunky hard drive or a previously owned one. Plus you won't have strange errors like i am having on an older system which i added/changed some stuff on it.
  9. Best answer selected by icecoldsnake.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage