Can not get online with router

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
He who can help here, shall be crowned a god!

System:
ASUS P4PE-BP (Black Pearl)
1.5GHz P4
120GB Hard Drive
512 RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT Vid Card
Sond Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Adapter (not managed)
D-Link DCM 200 Cable Modem
Linksys WKPC54G Router kit for notebooks 802.11G

Problem:
I can connect directly to the internet with no issues if the modem is connected directly to the adapter (wired). When I try to connect the router (hardwire from adapter to open port on router and hardwire from internet port to modem) I cannot get on-line. This is my second adapter and router just to verify they weren't busted. I have also tried different cords with no success. The configuration process seems to go smoothly until the router tests the on-line connection. Linksys cannot figure it out and neither can my ISP.

I have tried shutting down and waiting a couple of minutes many times and I have tried turning each component involved on in different turns (modem first, router and then CPU, router first, etc, etc,) Same results.

I have noticed that no matter what I try the IP address at the router will not change from 0.0.0.0 I know this is part of the problem but I can't fix it. I have cloned the mac address and still no success. I have also tried pinging the router and the wierd thig is that it responds with no issues yet I cannot ping the web. I also noticed the activity LED on my modem goes insane when I am connected from modem to adapter and when I introduce the router into the mix, this LED will blink maybe once every few minutes. I do have Norton Firewall and I have gone thru everything stated above with it on and off. No difference.

any ideas would be very awesome!!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
so let me rephrase your basic problem:

Your router is unable to pull an IP address from the Cable Modem?

Question: Does your ISP by chance use PPPoE and you're lacking the username/password? You didn't mention that int he laundry list of things you've tried.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Yeah I know the post is a bit long but I wanted to make sure I presented everything upfront, sorry

No my ISP does not reuire PPoE. They do not require a host name or password. I did confirm that with them. (Cox Communications). I am using DHCP which is set to automatic.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK, at this point I'd suspect a problem with the router. I'd test it's ability to pull an IP address using DHCP.

You can grab <A HREF="http://www.weird-solutions.com/download/index.html" target="_new">DHCP Turbo</A> (freeware) and setup a DHCP server on your PC (if you don't have a server version of windows) and connect the WAN port of your router to your PC. See if it will pull an IP address from it. Then report back here.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Unfortunately I am not at home in front of the problem at the moment. I will try as soon as I get home. But I have one more question which may shed light on the problem. When I am connected from modem to pc and I'm on-line, I noticed that my network adapter disables itself and then enables itself again over and over. When it is disabled, its only for a few seconds and really doesn't interrupt anything but the annoying pop-up in the lower right corner continues to flash on and off.

Could it be that my ethernet port on the modem is malfunctioning and this is why my router can't talk to it? That would make sense with the fact that my activity LED seems to stay off when connected to the router. However, if it is busted, I don't understand how I could get on-line when directly connected!!!!

Very frustrated and confused but thanks for the help

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
does the "connect-disconnect" problem happen when the ethernet card is attached to the router? If so, then it probably has a problem (or the wire has a problem)

If not, then the modem might have a problem.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
No the connect-disconnect problem does not occur when the router is hooked up to the adapter. I just assumed this didn't occur because something was wrong in the router connection that it just didn't get that far.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
but when the router is hooked up to the adapter, is the PC hooked up to the router? Do you get the problem then?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I'm sorry but you're question is confusing. Sorry if this is very rookie of me and I'm not being a smart ass but my adapter is installed in my PC and therefore it would be installed directly to the router. This is when I cannot get on-line but the connect/disconnect problem does not exist at this point.

I do not have a second PC in the mix at all. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK, yes you confirmed my suspicions.

Try the DHCP server thing when you get home and report back. The modem MIGHT have a problem, but let's try that first.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>