Connecting a Pioneer DVR 106D to sony VAIO PCG-Z1RMP - HELP!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 3, 2004 12:45:04 AM

Hi,

I've looked around and tried to work out what I need to do but I can't
get it right. Apologies if this covers ground that is covered
somewhere else but I can't find the info!

The setup & hardware:

I have just got a pioneer dvr-106d drive and bought a usb 2.0 to ide
(40 pin) with the aim of connecting the dvd drive as an external
drive. I'm running Win XP pro with SP2 enabled on Sony Vaio lapto
(pcg-z1rmp). The jumper cap is set to master on the drive. I
connected the power to the drive, the ide to the IDE/USB adaptor and
then plugged in the USB connector to the computer. XP then started
auto-recognition of the hardware but at the end I was told that it may
have not installed properly. The computer recognises that a drive is
present but does not allow any operation of the drive - I have put in
data cd, audio cd and video dvd into the drive but to no avail.
Software for the drive was not supplied and the USB/IDE adaptor had
only Win 98 & Mac setup for it as XP doesn't need setup software.

Can anyone tell me what I should do (short of throwing it out of the
window!)

Thanks,

David
--
November 3, 2004 12:45:05 AM

I have a Pioneer DVR-108 that I connected in a similar fashion. I used
an Addonics USB2.0 external case to mount the drive. Mine works
perfectly. There was no software for either the Pioneer or the USB2.0
enclosure. WinXP detects both properly.

I connect mine as follows:

I set the jumper to cable select. I installed the drive in the
enclosure. This is just connecting the ribbon cable connector and the
power plug. I also secured the drive in the enclosure using the supplied
screws.

I plugged the power adapter in, but left the power switch OFF.

Then I powered down the computer and connected the USB cable to a USB2.0
port.

Then I powered up the computer. This is a normal boot, since there is no
power to the external drive.

Then I turned on the power to the external drive. Everything was
recognized and installed by WinXP. And I can turn the power to the
external off and the drive disappears and when I turn power back on, it
goes through the recognition again with no problems.

Good luck, jimbo

!