Your question

Windows 7 hang up, mouse still works

Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2011 1:56:26 AM

Hello,
Here is what I know of his build
1090t
16 gigs ddr3
Gigabyte Ultra durable 333 mono (what I gather from logo screen)
60 gig gskill Phoenix ssd (OS drive)
1.5 tb data drive
Not too sure on what else.
I've been having an issue with my brothers comp that I've been trying to work out. It started on Sunday night. Every 5 to 10 minutes it would lock up but the mouse would still function. After reboot the same issue occurred. At this point it is immediately after login. Everything locks up, the mouse still functions but is in the loading animation. It's one of the stranger things I've seen. After trying every bios configuration I could think of nothing had worked. It is set up for the gskill as sata 0 and hitachi as sata 1 and it shows up as such in bios. In safe mode it functioned long enough for me to see that windows is still recognizing the SSD. Out of frustration last night he went to reformat it, however it wasn't detecting the SSD. I couldn't figure out the issue as it is almost an instant lock up so I went to reformat at his urging but couldn't detect the drive and entering the install disks cmd prompt diskpart->disk list only the hitachi shows up as disk0. Nothing else shows up. Any help would be appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 5:30:53 AM

Do you have system restore point of when it was working, and not the day before (Saturday), because that may not be a good one. Have you tried System file checker (sfc /scannow) or a Install-repair ?
m
l
November 2, 2011 6:29:34 AM

Check your cpu temperature, i think it got heat up and make the computer stuck and hanged.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 12:01:32 PM

ksiemb said:
Do you have system restore point of when it was working, and not the day before (Saturday), because that may not be a good one. Have you tried System file checker (sfc /scannow) or a Install-repair ?

Can't really check as it hangs almost immediately after login at this point, the only cmd prompt I can bring up doesn't recognize the drive at all. I guess I can go through Acronis, I was just hoping to find a resolution without wiping.

yasir siddiqui said:
Check your cpu temperature, i think it got heat up and make the computer stuck and hanged.

CPU is topping out at about 52C when I can check it, while it is slightly high it isn't near lockup high.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 1:01:12 PM

Can't boot to safe mode or to Windows CD, I assume also ?
m
l
November 2, 2011 1:14:22 PM

Safe mode locks up after about 45 seconds instead of instantly. Windows cd isn't recognizing the SSD, and putting the hitachi as drive 0 instead of the Ssd which is installed as and recognized by bios as disk 0.
m
l
!