Sign in with
Your question

Newly built system keeps freezing randomly..

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2010 4:28:16 PM

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some advice here: a couple of weeks ago I built a new system, but I keep getting random freezes (Well.. random.. they SEEM to occur about 5-10 minutes after I start using computer after it's been idle for a while, but NOT when I RDP to my system from work...)

I have the feeling this might be a powermanagement issue or a faulty motherboard.. (RAM checks out OK, and I already replaced the PSU.....)

Also, the PSU operation temperature is listed as 40 degrees celcius.. the room temperature is around 30 degrees at the moment, which could mean the PSU is running a bit hot.. :S CPU and GPU are well in limits, if I have to believe HWMonitor :) 

Uhm, specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D LE
Processor: Intel Core i7 860
Memory: OCZ3G1333LV2G @ 1066
Graphics: Asus EAH5850
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W

I'm tempted to replace the MB, but since that is time consuming, I'd rather not ;) 

Any tips are very welcome... thanks!

July 9, 2010 5:10:33 PM

You said it does this after it has been idle for a while. Does it go into a sleep or hybernate mode? I know some motherboards are not compatible with some sleep and hybernate modes.
July 9, 2010 5:36:15 PM

Nope, no sleeping or hibernating. I've already been there, most of the powermanagement settings are disabled. Not sure about BIOS though..

Usually it does it 5 to 10 minutes after I start doing stuff :)  after a reboot I have no trouble with gaming or whatever, until I get on the computer again after a nights' sleep.
Related resources
July 9, 2010 6:50:12 PM

Boy thats a head scratcher. I guess the only thing I could tell you is try to leave your computer on in safe mode all night and see if it freezes in the morning. If it does it in safe mode, then it is probably a windows issue. If not, it could be other software or drivers.
July 9, 2010 8:47:39 PM

Hmm, that's an option. Usually it doesn't crash during the night though. Only after I start using it in the morning :) 

Today I removed an unused WiFi card that wasn't using and windows didn't have a driver for.. maybe that's the cause :S
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2010 9:38:17 PM

If you're using Windows, have you checked the Event Viewer for an Error event that may have been entered into the event log?

Sometimes you might get lucky and the event log shows what event was being processed when the BSOD was triggered and may lead you to a solution or point you in a direction for further investigation.
July 9, 2010 10:31:56 PM

ko888 said:
If you're using Windows, have you checked the Event Viewer for an Error event that may have been entered into the event log?

Sometimes you might get lucky and the event log shows what event was being processed when the BSOD was triggered and may lead you to a solution or point you in a direction for further investigation.

Yeah, first thing I checked. Nothing there unfortunately.

Problem is.. that I don't get BSODs.. just freezes. Before it would also restart, but I think that stopped after updating my BIOS..
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2010 10:39:52 PM

Does the system lock up completely to the point where you have to do a hard reset or is the system just hesitating periodically while you're using it?
July 9, 2010 10:41:08 PM

ko888 said:
Does the system lock up completely to the point where you have to do a hard reset or is the system just hesitating periodically while you're using it?

I need to reset... although I haven't waited longer than a couple of minutes.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2010 11:05:05 PM

Any overclocking being done when the lockup happens or are all settings at stock?
July 10, 2010 6:42:24 AM

ko888 said:
Any overclocking being done when the lockup happens or are all settings at stock?

Except from the memory being underclocked XD the CPU is running at 2.8Ghz (21x133) no speedstep or turbo enabled in the BIOS. Graphics card is running at default settings.
July 16, 2010 7:25:09 AM

Hmm, unfortunately no definte answers. :( 
Are there any other forums where people might have a solution to my problem?
Thanks.

(Other TH forum is fine too ;)  I don't know where the regulars go...)
July 16, 2010 7:26:23 AM

adaman2576 said:
Boy thats a head scratcher. I guess the only thing I could tell you is try to leave your computer on in safe mode all night and see if it freezes in the morning. If it does it in safe mode, then it is probably a windows issue. If not, it could be other software or drivers.

Still need to try this btw.

Have to figure out how to boot Windows 7 in safe mode XD
August 13, 2010 4:54:34 PM

Try hitting F8 a whole bunch of times before windows starts to load.
!