Sign in with
Your question

AMD - Dual Channel DDR3 Or Single Channel DDR3. What should I do?

Last response: in Memory
April 11, 2011 11:22:18 PM

Hello there! I'm in quite the pickle and thought I would come to this great resource to get some advice.

I have an AMD processor (AMD Phenom II X2 555... unlocked to 4 processors) and I'm thinking about getting a new AMD motherboard that supports DDR3 1600 (which then would of course support DDR3 1333).

I can either buy DDR3 1600 running at CAS 8 - Single Channel (it comes in 3, 2GB sticks).

OR

I can buy DDR3 1333 running at CAS 9 - Dual Channel (comes in 2, 4GB sticks).

As far as I know there aren't any AMD boards that support triple channel, but of course I could be wrong.

What would you suggest I do? The pickle that I'm in is that I can go with 6GB ram which is faster than the 8GB ram but since it will run in single channel, I'm not sure if it will be faster.
a c 128 } Memory
a b À AMD
April 11, 2011 11:28:37 PM

Memory basics 101: the ram speed is determined by the board chipset. Get a matched pair for amd boards; it doesn't have to be dual channel; get whatever speed you can afford. I use both 1333 and 1600; most 1333 will run at 1600 with manual ram settings in the bios. All newer Amd boards take the memory in pairs, not threes.
m
l
April 12, 2011 12:09:09 AM

o1die said:
Memory basics 101: the ram speed is determined by the board chipset. Get a matched pair for amd boards; it doesn't have to be dual channel; get whatever speed you can afford. I use both 1333 and 1600; most 1333 will run at 1600 with manual ram settings in the bios. All newer Amd boards take the memory in pairs, not threes.
I get you (sort of). What I'm saying is that the ram that I'm getting is going to dictate whether I run in single channel or dual channel (and from Memory basics 101 as far as I could remember, dual channel has a higher bandwidth than single channel :)  ). I can run both of these different modules in the motherboard I want to get. But I was wondering if running in single channel is worth it because the RAM that I want to get is faster (cas 8 timing) than the other ram that I could also buy that would run in dual channel (the cas 9). If I'm understanding you correctly, are stating that I could OC the 1333 ram to 1600 but I'm sure that with the CAS 9 timing it wouldn't be worth it? idk, I'm more of one to just get a nice PC to work and not have to overclock.

I hope that is easy to understand. :bounce: 

EDIT: I ended up getting the 8GBs. I just can't wait for good advice. :lol: 
m
l
!