Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU vs GPU

Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:50:58 PM

So I am one of those gamers that typically put most of my money into a good graphics card and less into everything else when I upgrade, and I have neglected upgrading my CPU for quite sometime now. I'm starting to think that my CPU is holding my system down.

My specs are:
AMD athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2.8 ghz)
4 gb ddr2 ram
Asus ATI radeon hd 4890 1gb ddr5 (overclocked)

So as you can see, I have neglected to upgrade my CPU for quite a few years now. I've been having trouble running Starcraft II on ultra (maxed everything); in bigger games it can become choppy and the fps goes down. I feel like my GPU should be able to handle it no problem, and I don't think I will upgrade it for quite sometime. My CPU however hasn't been upgraded since 2007...

So my question is:
How much do you think my CPU is holding back my GPU, if at all?
Keeping in mind that I have an AM2+ mobo, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to upgrade to and how much of a difference will I see in performance?
Is it worth it upgrading to an AM3 mobo (i believe AM2+ can still run AM3 processors) and in that case should I go Intel instead? (keeping in mind I am a poor med school student)

Obviously, I'm not looking for exact numbers or anything, just some rough assumptions.

More about : cpu gpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 10:59:59 PM

I'd say your CPU would be the bottleneck in this system. If you don't wanna spend a bunch of money on a new CPU, you could buy yourself a heatsink and overclock your current CPU to get the maximum performance out of it that you can.
September 6, 2010 11:02:02 PM

Buying a new cpu isn't that difficult, it's the prospect of buying a new cpu, a new mobo, and then realizing i need new ram too.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 11:06:57 PM

well, you're not going to get a very good overclock out of that 5600+, they were terrible overclockers. what motherboard do you have? It may be able to hold a Phenom II...
Score
September 14, 2010 4:57:49 PM

Best answer selected by rolled.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 4:37:36 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!