Sign in with
Your question

What type of hdmi cables should I buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2010 9:42:33 PM

These are my first HD compatible TV and GPU. Currently I am waiting for my HDTV to be delivered. My question is what type of HDMI cables should I buy? I don't even know if there are better types and if even my equipment would have the proper standards to benefit from them.

HDTV: Sharp LC-32LE700UN - 1080p - 120Hz - 4ms - 32'
Detailed Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-lc-32le700...;rnav

GPU: Sapphire RADEON HD 5850
Detailed Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/sapphire-radeon-...;rnav

PC Specs just FYI:
Win7 64bit OS
Phenom II X4 955 Processor
4GB Ram
GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 Mobo

More about : type hdmi cables buy

May 31, 2010 9:54:19 PM

Don't get the cheapest and don't get the dearest either. Good cable management saves a lot of troubles that the dearer cables are aimed at addressing. things like cross interference etc. How long is the run you need is something to take into account as well, you don't want joiners in there. I would pay slightly more for a long run of cable say over 3 meters.
At the end of the day as long as its a decent brand so you know the workmanship is going to be up to scratch then it shouldn't matter. The cable has to transmit a selection of 1's and 0's down the line, it either will or it wont.
I'm in the UK and cables start at about £5 here and go upwards according to length and quality of build. As a rough guide after about £25 for a 2 meter cable your into the makes very little to no difference area. As with everything else sales men will start talking crap and basically making crap up to try and tempt you into spending more.

Mactronix
m
l
May 31, 2010 9:59:13 PM

Random question......do you know why it is better to have the HDMI cord longer?
m
l
June 1, 2010 12:12:55 PM

There is a maximum length a HDMI cable can be and still be guarenteed to transmit a signal [30 meters? I don't recall offhand...]. Other then that, its just a string of 0's and 1's; either the signal arrives properly, or it doesn't. Any $1 HDMi cabel will do. [I've never spent more then $2 per HDMI cable; thank you amazon :D ]
m
l
!