Sign in with
Your question

Confused about my HDD

Last response: in Storage
September 8, 2012 9:51:34 AM

After my first ssd of low quality suddenly gave out I replaced it with a 2tb hard drive as I needed storage at the time however after about 6 months that too gave in. About two weeks ago I installed a new corsair 120GB ssd for my os and main applications while having a 1TB as a backup and storage for games , films etc . However today although the SSD is running fine and the disk within the HDD sounds and feels like its spinning no problem it is not being recognised , and when it is recognised it does not perform correctly , e.g films playing off the hard drive lag, programs buffer alot and anything to do with the hard drive is generally very slow. Any help?

Thanks George

More about : confused hdd

a c 104 G Storage
September 8, 2012 2:59:28 PM

Hi George,

Although your HDD is going to be "slow" compared to the SSD, it's worth checking things out.

First go to the system setup in the BIOS to make sure both the SSD and HDD are recognized properly. Also do you have the SATA configuration as AHCI or IDE? Do you have the drive connected to SATA3 or SATA6 ports?

Then boot into Windows, go to the Device Manager, and check out both drives. If the OS recognizes the hardware, it's listed here. The SSD should be Drive 0 and HHD Drive 1. On the General Tab, both should say "this device is working properly"

Then go to the Disk Management MMC. In the lower graphical section upload a screenshot of the drives for us to visualize if you can, or be specific as to the info in the Drive column to the left, and the Partition column on the right. The Partition column should have Dark Blue Bands above both.

That way someone will be better able to help pin down any problem.
September 10, 2012 11:05:13 AM

Thank you for the reply this helped however currently I am here.

I swapped the sata port on the motherboard and the hdd started to appear again but only in the device manager and is showing and disk0 with the ssd as disk1
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
September 10, 2012 3:14:05 PM

gceorge said:
Thank you for the reply this helped however currently I am here.

I swapped the sata port on the motherboard and the hdd started to appear again but only in the device manager and is showing and disk0 with the ssd as disk1

Could you please show us a screenshot of the Disk Manager graphical area, using imageshack or photobucket to upload the image.

The SATA SSD drive is best connected to the first SATA connector (SATA_0, or SATA_1) depending on your MB, and the HDD in a higher numbered SATA port (like SATA_2, or SATA 3). Not mandatory, just makes it easier for others to troubleshoot.
September 10, 2012 9:09:34 PM

After playing around with various settings I managed to keep the HDD stable so flashed and then partitioned and seems to be doing good so far, thank you very much for your help!
!