Confused by GDDR3 RAM on mobo

stevetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I just bought a Gateway DX4850-27eu desktop PC and it has 6 gigs of RAM on board...2MB x 2 and 1MB x 2. When I pulled the modules out, they were all labeled GDDR3-1333 xGB xxxMx8 1.5V EP. Where "xGB", for example would be 2GB for the 2GB modules, and "xxxMx8" would be 256Mx8 for the 2GB modules).

I'd like to expand my RAM to 8 gigs, and the tech support idiot would not tell me (a) why there was GDDR3 RAM in the mobo, or (b) whether or not I needed to replace the two 1MB modules with GDDR3 2MB modules (to expand to 8 GB). I'm guessing that all modules would have to be the same type.

I'm also guessing that since there is no dedicated graphics card in the DX4850, the GDDR3 RAM modules are there to enhance the graphics provided by the onboard Intel HD graphics.

And even if I want to expand my RAM to 8GB, I don't seem to be able to find anyplace online or in a retail store to buy GDDR3 modules. ???

I DO NOT SPEAK TECH....anybody care to respond??

Thanks,
Steve

stevetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Okay. I'm told by a friend in the IT business that the onboard graphics engine on the motherboard "borrows" graphics memory from the RAM, and that in order for the graphics engine to function properly, it needs GDDR3. So if the computer has 6 megs of RAM and the graphics engine (for lack of a better term) is borrowing 1 meg, that leaves a total of 5 megs available for non-graphics functions. Further, in order for graphics rendering to work properly, the RAM that it borrows from cannot be DDR3 but, instead, must be GDDR3 to ensure compatibility. In other words, if I were to replace all the RAM with DDR3 chips, the graphics capabilities of my computer may be adversely affected.

But this is mind taffy. I'm not going to replace anything with anything and everything seems to be humming along with no problems. I thank everyone for their replies and participation.

Steve

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Your friend is a moron. There is no such thing as GDDR3 memory modules used on motherboards for system memory. GDDR3 is specifically a type of RAM that is only used in graphics applications. e.g. discrete graphics cards

The label or sticker on the memory module that references "GDDR3" is just a mistake or oversight of some sort, perhaps the G could even mean "Gateway". But the memory type is just standard DDR3.

stevetom

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Name calling. Great. My friend may be mistaken. You, on the other hand have problems and issues that are far worse. Good luck dealing with those from your home in your mom's basement.

avp2

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I am trying to upgrade an ACER Veriton M480G. It came with two GDDR3-1333, has 4 RAM slots, and works fine - until I put in DDR3 modules; then it fails to even BIOS post and gives no warning messages or beeps.

ACER, and the motherboard manufacturer (Micro Star International) data sheet, both say it should be able to take four 2G DDR3-8500 or 10600 modules. I have tried Crucial's and Kingstons of both and all do the same - boot fail.

This board does have an on-board graphics setup and runs a dual core processor. It also has an AGP slot so I and going to try to find a graphics card to plug in with the DDR3's in the MB. If it works, I will let you know.

ACER tech support said there may be something wrong with the MB logic, but the machine runs fine on its GDDR3 modules. I just need more RAM for a server.