Help with HTPC Build

srogers26

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month, End of the month at the latest BUDGET RANGE: $1000 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD 1080p video, bit stream audio, a lot of storage to transfer Blu Ray and other dvds to htpc, watch Blu Ray movies, stream videos online, listen and upload music collection, add to home theater, record from stb to pc ( if possible), web browsing and other common pc task, able to preform multitasking, no gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, but i am open to other sites as long as there is a good deal.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am not really sold on one brand over another, whatever gets the job done

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to add the HTPC to my current home theater set up connecting to a Onkyo TX-NR807. In addition, quiet as possible. I am willing to purchase sound and video cards if needed. I would like this build to be very efficient and not require any major upgrades, only periodically

Wow what is suggested here for an HTPC is completely overkill.

All you need is an atom processor 1.6ghz with 2gigs of RAM and an ION graphics for 720p video. (I should mention that people have had success with 1080p using the ION graphics setup with a 1.6ghz atom processor)

For 1080p You might want a core i3 slowest cpu possible, with a low grade video card with 512MB ram. Maybe a 8600 or equivalent - I'm thinking that might be overkill too but the important part is video RAM.

Since you have a Onkyo i'm thinking a motherboard with HDMI should be good.

HTPC's don't require much power at all and what is suggested and super overkill.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
The stuff listed'll be more than powerful enough, but should also be able to do stuff for a while without needing to upgrade if they decide there's such a thing as very full HD (or something like that anyway). Although if you go with something using MITX, you can get it smaller and generally more power efficient. (See the Tom's article on a a few setups with MITX: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mini-itx-amd-785g-intel-h55,2645.html

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Sort of looks like these guys know what they're doing :D

I can put a good word in for seeing mosox and niklas be helpful around the place if you're not sure who to listen to (whereas skater's pretty new and seems to be posting a few things I don't really agree on around the place)

Please don't take that wrong I am not having a go a you skater. But you seem to be misinformed here.

Listen kid I've been around. I know way more than you Mark Heath. You're extremist views isn't everyones. That doesn't make me new or misinformed. It makes you a child and one that thinks you know it all.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Err.. don't wanna start a flame war or anything.... I have seen a peak in your activity as of late was what I was referring to. I apologise if it seemed like I'm saying that you're inexperienced; I did not look at your join date til now either and I do not consider what I stated to be an extremist view..merely my opinion.

*sigh*

Please, please don't hijack this guy's thread because I unintentionally offended you. I am honestly very sorry.