Sign in with
Your question

DVI Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2010 1:14:09 AM

Hey everyone,

I ran into a bit of trouble with my DVI connection today and I'm hoping someone can help. I was moving the monitor to free some wires back there and the power plug moved back and forth a bit in the monitor and I saw a few sparks - I'm afraid it may have caused something to short out, but I can't nail it down. I restarted the computer as I was doing this and when it came back on all I get is the "no input" message followed by the monitor going into sleep mode, even though I can hear Windows booting fine. Here is what I have tried:

Known working monitor w/DVI plug - no
Known working monitor with D-sub - works
Existing monitor/Video card with D-Sub - works
Known working PCI-E x1 card - direct DVI connection - Works
New video card with DVI - no
New video card with DVI-D-Sub conversion, original monitor - works
I tried setting the monitor to use the DVI port, which didn't work. There is no such setting in the BIOS, and the screen does not display under direct DVI connection at any point anymore.

New cables also had no effect. I just can't figure out why direct DVI connection wouldn't work but the converter would if it were somehow the DVI port that is fried.

Here is my setup:

Radeon HD4890 PCI-E x16 (Duel DVI/ S-Video out)
SOYO 28'' Monitor w/DVI & D-Sub inputs
MSI X-58 Motherboard w/Intel i7 920

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

More about : dvi problems

June 1, 2010 4:50:09 AM

If what I am reading is correct, and you have tried using another graphics card with the same monitor and it worked. As well as trying another monitor with the same graphics card and it worked.

It sounds to me like you have ironed out the problem yourself. Although, I have never really heard of this before but I suppose it is possible. It sounds like the DVI connector on the graphics card has failed.

If the DVI cable on the monitor works with another graphics card, then the DVI cable is fine as well as the monitor. If the DVI connector on the video card does not work with any other monitors then I think you have your answer there.
m
l
June 1, 2010 3:43:48 PM

I tried a new graphics card (PCI-E X16, like my current card) - that did not work with the DVI. I also tried a second monitor with both the original card and replacement card, which also both did not work with DVI. The DVI to D-Sub adapter seems to work with any card/monitor configuration as well.

I was, however, able to get DVI working on a PCI-E x1 card I have, but obviously I do not want to be stuck using the outdated card. So based on these tests I have pretty much ruled out the monitor or original video card as the problem, any other thoughts? Thanks again
m
l
June 1, 2010 6:48:56 PM

This is all a bit confusing to read as you can imagine, and none of it really makes too much sense. The spark you saw, well... I can't see that having that big of an impact on anything.

Did you have any more devices than usual connected to either your PSU or your power outlet?

Have you tried using a new PSU perhaps or plugging your rig in somewhere else?

If the monitor and original video card both work, and these are the two things that you need working... your telling me both of these still don't work TOGETHER, but they work on their own with different components attached to them?

That is odd. Correct me if i'm wrong, I can't give much more help unless I was able to see first-hand what the issue was.

DVI connector on the video card. CHECK.
DVI cable on the monitor. CHECK.
Monitor IS working, and you have seen picture. CHECK.
Original video card IS working, and you have seen picture. CHECK.

If the DVI cable on the monitor was working with another video card, the only thing left for me to assume is that the "original" video card is the problem. Not sure what else I can say here. Check your power supply, and try plugging your computer in/into somewhere else.
m
l
!