Cannot Boot from CDROM

anangphatak

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hello,
I have recently bought a
GA-880GM-UD2H Socket AM3 880G mATX Motherboard (Detailed Specs:http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334912) with Corsair DDR3 4g memory, 1TB Hitachi Deathstar (deskstar), AMD quad core CPU@3ghz, and Samsung DVD R

I installed Win7 x64 on it from the DVD drive. Once that was done, I wanted to install Ubuntu and make a dual boot sys. However, this machine simply will not boot from CD.

I have changed the boot priority in BIOS and hitting F12 during boot up still shows HDD as 1st pref. in booting.

Upon selecting CDROM in the F12 menu, the screen flashes LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM for about 1 sec. and then simply ignores the CD and boots into Win -7 from HDD.

I have tried several Ubuntu disks (all work) as well as tried loading Win-7 DVD.

None of this works.

Any ideas? Is there something else I can do in the BIOS? :eek:

sunguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I am experiencing the same problem but ErP Support is disabled. I replaced a defective HP mobo with this GA-880GM-UD2H. It always boots from the HD and tries to go into HP recovery no matter what but can't do it because it is a new motherboard. With a new (empty) HD, it will boot a Ubuntu CDROM or a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM DVD but NOT with the original HP HD installed. I want to recover as much of my files as possible without resorting to a new install of Windows on new drive (if I can even get past the licensing). Also I would like to be able to chose to boot from the SATA DVD/CDROM.

There MUST be a way.

sunguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Update: I switched the SATA cables between the HD and DVD drive and it wouldn't boot HD or CDROM at all. So I moved the HD back to SATA2_1 and moved the DVD drive from SATA2_0 to SATA2_4 (the last one) and NOW it booted onto the Windows 7 DVD. It still doesn't appear that I will be able to save my files on that HD but I did make copies so I can copy them back later. I didn't see any recommendations for where to physically connect the drives on this mobo. Am I blind?