Remove obsolete "Local Services" entries

Hello, All!
Can someone tell me how to manually-remove obsolete entries under
Local Services in mmc console?
Way back when I used Norton products I ended up w/ a couple of
Symantec entries in Local Services. Even though I've long since gone
thru & manually-deleted beaucoups Norton-related entries in the
registry, those Local Services entries insist on hanging around like
ugly hemorrhoids.
Anybody know what registry loc I need to get into to remove those
things?

Thanks in advance [:-))

terry b.
5 answers Last reply
More about remove obsolete local services entries

    Hello, Ramesh
    Thanks for the input. Actually, when I removed NortonSystemWorks from
    this machine I did go to the Symantec site, printed out their pages on
    "manually removing NSW 2002" and followed those detailed instructions
    as best I could. [What a hassle!] For some reason those actions did not
    remove the Local Services entries in question.....;
    I went to the registry loc you cited; I've got 9 entries whose subkey
    names have a "sym" prefix. None of them mention Symantec as a whole
    word. I suppose I could use NTBackup to do a sysstate backup, export
    those keys, and them delete them. What do you think?

    terry b.

    Ramesh,
    I checked all 9 of the subkeys in question, and all the image paths
    list highly-abbreviated file locations in
    \%WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\...
    Again, none of them mention Symantec by name....
    Possibly the most efficient route would be to [after backing up
    either system state or the registry---or both!] download one of the
    driver-identification apps on the market [e.g., "WinDriversBackup
    Professional"], go thru and see if additional information is available.

    Again, Ramesh--thanks for the input! Your contributions to the
    various Windows forums [and elsewhere on the web] have been invaluable
    to the multitudes of bewildered computer users!

    terry b.

    Terry,

    Symantec's products add/modify hundreds (or thousands) of registry
    keys/values and removing them all manually is impossible unless you trace
    the installation using a snapshot tool. If you want to remove the program,
    first, try uninstalling
    the program via Add/Remove Programs. If that does not help, look for the
    uninstaller tool available at Symantec's site for that particular product
    which you intend to remove.

    Note that uninstaller utility may not be available for all the products, but
    Symantec provides REG files for removing some products. Go to:
    http://www.symantec.com/search for more information.

    BTW, the Services entries are present in this registry location. One or more
    of the sub-keys may be related Norton products. You should be able to
    identify them easily by reading the "DisplayName" and "ImagePath" fields in
    the right-pane in the Registry Editor.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services]

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "terry b" <riprap1951@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, All!
    > Can someone tell me how to manually-remove obsolete entries under
    > Local Services in mmc console?
    > Way back when I used Norton products I ended up w/ a couple of
    > Symantec entries in Local Services. Even though I've long since gone
    > thru & manually-deleted beaucoups Norton-related entries in the
    > registry, those Local Services entries insist on hanging around like
    > ugly hemorrhoids.
    > Anybody know what registry loc I need to get into to remove those
    > things?
    >
    > Thanks in advance [:-))
    >
    > terry b.

    Terry,

    In a default Windows XP installation, there are 3 or 4 entries starting with
    "Sym..", which are NOT Symantec related. It's best advisable to have a look
    at ImagePath or DisplayName. Once you're sure that's the entry you want to
    remove, delete it. At any case, it's best advisable to do a backup.
    (NTBackup will do, or get ERUNT from the following site)

    [ERUNT] Registry Backup and Restore for Windows

    [ERUNT Download URLs]
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/erunt-setup.exe

    [Installing & Using ERUNT]
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    --

    > Hello, Ramesh
    > Thanks for the input. Actually, when I removed NortonSystemWorks from
    > this machine I did go to the Symantec site, printed out their pages on
    > "manually removing NSW 2002" and followed those detailed instructions
    > as best I could. [What a hassle!] For some reason those actions did not
    > remove the Local Services entries in question.....;
    > I went to the registry loc you cited; I've got 9 entries whose subkey
    > names have a "sym" prefix. None of them mention Symantec as a whole
    > word. I suppose I could use NTBackup to do a sysstate backup, export
    > those keys, and them delete them. What do you think?
    >
    > terry b.

    You're very welcome Terry.

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > I checked all 9 of the subkeys in question, and all the image paths
    > list highly-abbreviated file locations in
    > \%WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\...
    > Again, none of them mention Symantec by name....
    > Possibly the most efficient route would be to [after backing up
    > either system state or the registry---or both!] download one of the
    > driver-identification apps on the market [e.g., "WinDriversBackup
    > Professional"], go thru and see if additional information is available.
    >
    > Again, Ramesh--thanks for the input! Your contributions to the
    > various Windows forums [and elsewhere on the web] have been invaluable
    > to the multitudes of bewildered computer users!
    >
    > terry b.

Configuration Windows XP