Constant Random Reboots - Please help!!

toprock03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Good Evening -

I posted this in the home build section of the forums a while back but i am still having some issues. Perhaps this is a more appropriate area as i had only one (although helpful) reply. Please let me know your thought. Thanks in advance

"I built my first pc about a year and a half ago with no issues whatsoever. Now all of the sudden my computer keeps randomly rebooting. Sometimes I'll be using windows for a half hour or so with no issues until a reboot, and other times it will get itself into a cycle where it will reboot, not even finish loading the bios, and then reboot again.

I took the computer to a PC place where they did a diagnostic. They "claimed" they swapped the parts and it was either the MOBO or the CPU. Figuring the failure rate on the MOBO was much higher than the CPU I RMA'd the MOBO. After weeks of waiting and finally slapping it all back together I am seeing the same issue.

I dont think its a heat issue as I installed speedfan and temps seem to be very stable and operated usually between 50-60c when under load for all areas. I am obviously sick of the problem and dont know what to do. I could RMA the CPU but if thats not the issue its another 2 weeks and no progress. Could it be a bad power supply? I wonder if the PC place (pretty reputable within the milwaukee area) did a lazy job of actually trying to solve the problem. I dont think its a windows issue as it will sometimes reboot before even loading vista. I will see the MOBO screen and sometimes it restarts right at that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all replies

ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30 - OEM
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders -

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

PC Power and Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply"

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Is the graphics card too tightly screwed in the case? I had multiple BSODs and my new system didn't start because I put the card in too tightly. Make sure the DVI/VGA/HDMI cable to your monitor is not squashed/bent etc.

Do you get the restarts with the wireless adapter removed and do you have the latest drivers installed?

Is the CPU seated snugly in the socket and RAM too? Try one stick of RAM if poss.