8 gigs RAM - Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi. I just built a new Windows 7 64-bit system and it runs very nice, but I'm wondering if I went "overkill" in installing 8 gigs Gskill RipJaw RAM. I'm not really a gamer, but I'd like to play Xplane 9 and FSX on it. Do you think I'll ever use 8 gigs RAM. Should I have just installed 4 gigs?

Solution
It is overkill but RAM is cheap at the moment. 4Gb was running $100 six months ago. I've seen G.skill 1600 8 Gb kits for as little as $75 within the past few days.
I say go for it and don't regret it. 8gb is the new 4 Gb
You could have gotten away with 4GB but that does not make it wrong to have bought 8. couple of years down the road you might have regretted only getting 4GB because you would then be using a application that can take advantage of the extra ram.

This is something you ask before you purchase. You already bought it, it's installed, and your using it. So what's the point of even asking? No answer is going to change anything.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Just wondering after reading somewhere that 8 gigs is "overkill". I'm not gonna revert to 4 gigs though. :lol:

It is overkill if you are not using it but if you are doing some kind of 3d work or video editing chances are that you are using it.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
It is overkill but RAM is cheap at the moment. 4Gb was running $100 six months ago. I've seen G.skill 1600 8 Gb kits for as little as $75 within the past few days.
I say go for it and don't regret it. 8gb is the new 4 Gb

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.