Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive Won't Power Up

Last response: in Storage
September 8, 2012 8:33:04 PM

Hey all,

Got a bit of a problem with a hard drive.

I went to format a hard driveso I could install it into another machine I have. I mounted it externally with an adapter, and it powered on, but it made some weird clicking noises and never mounted. I turned it off, and when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't power back on.

I tried removing the data cable and doing it that way and it didn't work. I tried the adapter with another hard drive thinking the adapter was bad, but it worked fine. I had mounted this in a PC before, and it powered on just fine, but made the same weird clicking noises. There shouldn't be any files on this disk since it came out of a RAID array (I have 2 identical drives, it was a RAID 5). Those work just fine, I did have to repartition them though.

The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda ST3250310AS 250 GB.

Any hwlp would be appreciated!

Thanks.

More about : hard drive power

a c 80 G Storage
September 8, 2012 9:11:38 PM

It's dead. Buy a new one. Raid 5 needs at least 3 drives.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:42:42 PM

I'm hoping it's not because it's a nice hard drive. There's no data on it though. It was working (at least I think it was) when I dissasembled the server. I took it out of a omain controller one of our clients had retired (they bought a new server system). I had powered it on to see if it worked and it seemed like all the drives were working.

I wasn't planning on putting these back in RAID, just a regular desktop PC. That's why I was hooking it up externally to format it.
I had no intention of recomissioning the server either. I gutted the server for the motherboard (had dual Xeon's and 2 GB ECC FB RAM, plus the hard drives). I tested every drive, and they all behaved weird, but I was able to format them and use them in my other machines.

What about swapping the PCB from the other identical HDD and trying it that way? I've heard that is one way to determine if a drive is dead or dying, but I don't really want to do that since I could ruin the other drive's board in the process.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 9, 2012 1:15:19 AM

Can you try hooking up the non working drive up to a PC internally to see if it will work?
September 9, 2012 2:55:16 AM

I had tried that and it did work when I hooked it up to the PC, but it made the same clicking noises, I'm guessing from the fact it has no partition as it came out of a RAID array from a DC. I will try it again tonight when I get home.

Thanks!
m
l
September 9, 2012 7:14:41 AM

I looked at that boot utility and it looks pretty good. I think I will hook the disk up as a second hard drive and reformat it that way from the OS. I did that with another disk before. If that doesn't work then I know that it is in bad shape and it's probably got something wrong with it.

Thanks!
m
l
September 16, 2012 3:29:57 AM

Update...

I tried again to mount the drive externally with my USB adapter, this time to my Mac, and it powered on, but started making the same clicking noise and didn't mount. I let it run for several minutes to see if anything would change, but when I came back to check on it after 5 minutes, it had shut down and I couldn't restart it, so I am sure it's dead. Unless there's any other suggestions, I'm chucking it, or maybe hang it up on my wall as a pretty decoration.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:00:09 AM

Things to everyone who helped. I killed the drive so now now it's just a paperweight.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:00:58 AM

Best answer selected by Sirstinky.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 4:56:57 AM

Take the platters out and make a clock out of it :p 
m
l
September 19, 2012 9:39:04 AM

That would be nice, but I was thinking using the platter with some others from dead hard drives and making a wind chime
m
l
a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 3:37:43 PM

LOL, well that would work too :) 
m
l
!