wild ping

hi folks
can anyone help ?
i'm experiencing fluxuation with my ping when playing online .it has been a
while since ive played online ,back then i had dialup but now have adsl
512/128 . i remember a while ago someone saying they increased their ping
to prevent packet loss/or make it less, by editing their ut or user ini .
any idea's or did i just dream this lol.
thx optimus_prime
2 answers Last reply
More about wild ping

    "optimus_prime" <optimus@westnet.com.au> Blessed us with

    > hi folks can anyone help ? i'm experiencing fluxuation with my
    > ping when playing online .it has been a while since ive played
    > online ,back then i had dialup but now have adsl 512/128 . i
    > remember a while ago someone saying they increased their ping
    > to prevent packet loss/or make it less, by editing their ut or
    > user ini . any idea's or did i just dream this lol.

    Are you talking about *netspeed* here or *ping*? I think they are
    two very different beings. What kind of pings are you getting
    when you load the serverlist? I'm not too sure about all the
    details but I believe there is a netspeed setting somewhere
    that people can set higher that have faster internet connections.
    I think it's called the ConfiguredInternetSpeed and it's in the
    [Engine.Player] section of the UnrealTournament.ini file. Mine
    is set at 2600 because I have the worlds slowest connection. I'm
    assuming here too that you are playing UT and not UT2003 or 2004.
    I'm not sure if it's the same for the latter two.

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    in the ass with it!

    "optimus_prime" <optimus@westnet.com.au> wrote:

    >hi folks
    >can anyone help ?
    >i'm experiencing fluxuation with my ping when playing online .it has been a
    >while since ive played online ,back then i had dialup but now have adsl
    >512/128 . i remember a while ago someone saying they increased their ping
    >to prevent packet loss/or make it less, by editing their ut or user ini .
    >any idea's or did i just dream this lol.

    You might be thinking of the netspeed setting. Look for the
    ConfiguredInternetSpeed value in your UnrealTournament.ini file.

    If you press F6 while playing online, you can view the current data
    rate. I think that if it's a lot lower than your current setting, you
    can benefit by making the setting closer to the actual performance. I
    have 384/128 DSL (my ping fluctuates too), and I set mine to 6500.
    You can probably find more/better information about this with a google
    search if nobody else responds here. I think that's how I found the
    information in the first place.

Video Games