Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installation process for a new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2011 3:51:23 PM

I know how to install a motherboard's hardware and all the components. I want to know what the computer will do if I replace my old motherboard with a new one. What's the process after it's installed into my computer case? Can I turn my PC on and everything will work? Do I need to insert drivers?

I really want to replace my motherboard but I don't know how to install one "software-wise".

Thanks.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2011 5:17:46 PM

Speaking only of software;
just inseert the drivers disc and follow the instructions.
For Windows, you will need your OEM disc to do a repair install if you are keeping the old HD, but back up all your programs just in case. Or you can do a clean install.
April 13, 2011 2:34:52 PM

Best answer selected by jnr1114.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2011 9:32:52 PM

Noworldorder said:
Speaking only of software;
just inseert the drivers disc and follow the instructions.
For Windows, you will need your OEM disc to do a repair install if you are keeping the old HD, but back up all your programs just in case. Or you can do a clean install.

When using Win 7 this is not always true. Myself and other have installed old HDDs into new systems running Win 7 without doing a Repair Install or Clean Install. Also, you do not need the drivers disk either. It is often better to downlaoded the lastest drivers from the manufacturer's website instead of installing outdated software from a disk.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 12:09:08 AM

ByblosHex said:
When using Win 7 this is not always true. Myself and other have installed old HDDs into new systems running Win 7 without doing a Repair Install or Clean Install. Also, you do not need the drivers disk either. It is often better to downlaoded the lastest drivers from the manufacturer's website instead of installing outdated software from a disk.
When answering questions for new members I try to offer the easiest method of reaching their goal, not hoping everything goes right, if and when.
But I understand your point that: sometimes....
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:23:01 AM

Noworldorder said:
When answering questions for new members I try to offer the easiest method of reaching their goal, not hoping everything goes right, if and when.
But I understand your point that: sometimes....

With 7 it's not so much a shot in the dark as it was in older versions of Windows. Microsoft has officially started that Windows 7 was designed for this type of move.

It isn't going to hurt anything to give it a shot. I haven't read or heard of anyone having problems moving their HDD into a different system under Windows 7. In fact, I've read of some Computer Builders who install a customer's HDD into their system to clean/repair and then return it to the customer's system, all without a hitch.

When I moved my HDD from my Asus P5N-E to my new MSi P67A-C43(B3) I was greeted on boot with a long list of successful automatic driver updates and replacements... of course I had to go to the manufacturer's website for a few drivers that Windows simply used generic drivers for, but it was definitely problem free and very easy.
m
l
!