New build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computers
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2010 1:59:14 AM

New to the site and new to building computers. I just put together a brand spanking new system for the first time! So far everything is good and I want to make sure it stays that way. I have a 40gb Intel ssd that i'm going to use just to boot up Windows 7 home prem. So, that's where I stand right now. I have another hd on the way. What step should I take next?

More about : build

July 10, 2010 2:44:33 AM

I'm not sure what you're asking. Next step would be to enjoy your new build? I dunno ...

bdfenn said:
New to the site and new to building computers. I just put together a brand spanking new system for the first time! So far everything is good and I want to make sure it stays that way. I have a 40gb Intel ssd that i'm going to use just to boot up Windows 7 home prem. So, that's where I stand right now. I have another hd on the way. What step should I take next?

m
l
July 10, 2010 3:54:40 AM

install security software, clone hd, partition my hd when I get it? Advice on software?
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2010 4:03:38 PM

Apparently no love for a newb on this site!
m
l
July 11, 2010 5:02:54 AM

heheh.. feels like that now and then. ;) 

So you've got the other parts as well?

I'm also a bit unsure as to exactly what advice you're looking for..

btw, welcome to Tom's and also to pc building :D 
m
l
July 11, 2010 5:56:51 AM

Ok, bare with me please. I plan on using my 40gb ssd just to boot up. I installed Norton on this drive also. When I get the other hd do I have to install Norton on that drive to? It's going to be 1Tb, should I partition it? If so, what software is good for that. I was told it's good idea to clone my drive. Can I clone my ssd with any drive? What software is good for cloning?
m
l
July 11, 2010 6:01:40 AM

Re-formatted
Quote:
Ok, bare with me please. I plan on using my 40gb ssd just to boot up. I installed Norton on this drive also.
1)When I get the other hd do I have to install Norton on that drive to?
2)It's going to be 1Tb, should I partition it?
3)If so, what software is good for that. I was told it's good idea to clone my drive.
4)Can I clone my ssd with any drive?
5)What software is good for cloning?

1)I don't believe so
2)You could, but you could also not bother. Depends.
3)I believe Windows'll do that ok.
4)I dunno
5)same as 4
m
l
July 11, 2010 11:06:24 PM

oh that

trend micro internet security and Acronis true image workstation will satisfy that.

bdfenn said:
install security software, clone hd, partition my hd when I get it? Advice on software?

m
l
July 11, 2010 11:53:10 PM

And btw, Norton's antivirus capabilities aren't very good; it's worse than some of the good free antivirus software like AVG (Free version), Avast! and Avira (Free version).
m
l
!