Upgraded Ram and My Computer Wont Boot

adam12345

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hello,
Yesterday I tried to upgrade the ram on my computer that I put together a year and a half ago. The ram I was replacing was gaming ram (4 gig DDR3 240 pin) that had custom voltage settings and timings. The new ram was essentially the same as the old ram but made by a different manufacturer.
I unplugged the power, opened the case, removed the old ram, and inserted the new ram in the same slots. When I powered back up the computer made a constant beeping noise but didn’t boot. I immediately powered down and switched the old ram back in. When I powered back up this time, the computer wouldn’t boot up. The computer makes the initial boot noises and the fans ramp up, but then the system gets stuck in what I would describe as a restart cycle where the fans sound like they are ramping up and then ramp down continuously on a cycle of a second or two. Nothing appears on the monitor.
I tried the new ram again and I get the same restart cycle. At this point I have tried both sets of sticks in all slots in every combination I could think of. I always get the reset cycle.
Any suggestions?

adam12345

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a try when I get home.

Quick clarification: How would I upgrade the bios if I cannot turn the computer on?

adam12345

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Unfortunately clearing the CMOS did not work. I am getting the same symptoms as before. I am thinking it is either a faulty power supply or motherboard at this point.

Anyone else have any suggestions?