Super Multi DVD Rewriter Disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Operator101

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello, my name is Tommy. My Super Multi DVD Rewriter HP GH60L has all of a sudden disappeared. The icon for my E drive is no longer shown where the other drives are listed under Computer. The drive tray does not want to open. It is not jammed, cause I removed the disk manually that I had in the tray. I tried System Restore several times and the (E) drive icon still has not appeared. Any suggestions?

Operator101

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Just tried that, it did not work. The (E) drive icon has still not appeared, and the drive tray does not open. I have a Windows 7 operating system.

Operator101

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I'm not that familar with checking in the bios section. How do you go about doing that? What key do I hit to get to the bios? I have a Hewlett Packard Pavillion P6620f PC. Thank you, Tommy.

Operator101

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Ok, with the help of my Grandson, I was able to get into the bios. There is only one drive listed in there, and that is the hard drive. No other drives are listed. We also switched the wires from the DVD drive to the P1, P2, P3 and P4 ports on the mother board. Still no change. We also switched the power cables around. Same thing, no difference. At this point it looks like the DVD drive is damaged? This all took place when I was loading pictures from a disk in the DVD drive to the computer. I noticed that after a while, the DVD drive stopped working. It appeared that the computer just frozed up. I tried to shut down the normal way. No response. So, I hit the control alt and delete keys. Still nothing. So I manually turned off the computer and turned it on again. That's when I looked for the DVD icon in the Computer where the other drive icons are located and listed. It was gone. My question now is, when replacing the DVD drive, what is the main thing to look for as far as compatibility is concerned? I have the Hewlett Packard Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model: GH60L (A2HH). I really don't care about the light scribe because I don't use it. I'm thinking of purchasing a Samsung Sata SH-222 Rewrite DVD Burner brand new for $30 dollars. Will it work for me? Thank you, Tommy.

Status
Not open for further replies.