Opinions on upgrading my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobb_86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hello,i want to upgrade my pc, with budget around $400. but i`m a little
lost here. i dont know which part to upgrade to get best gaming performance with my budget limit.
Below is my pc specs:

mobo:Asus Blitz Formula
http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=qFnC6dAJnVMjgbBm
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
gpu: EAH4870/HTDI/512M
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jUwn6daieInTGGW8&templete=2
memory:Transcend aXeram TX800QLU-2GK and TX1066QLU-2GK(set to 800mhz)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium installed on SSD OCZ Agility 128GB
cpu heatsink: Cooler Master V8

right now im thinking on replacing my cpu with much better cpu but that means i have to change mobo too.. maybe it is better just to buy new gpu?

Thank 4 your time..

Solution
Crysis 2 is supposed to have lower system requirements than the first. The original Crysis is only so demanding on your system because it was one of the most horribly optimized games of all time.

That monitor IS in the edge of the zone where you could see some performance slowing, but I wouldn't imagine it would be much, and only in extreme cases. Basically, I would wait and see -- don't buy the second card unless you start getting performance you're not happy with from the single card. If you're unhappy, you can always spend the money later.

bobb_86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

thanx for answering.. q9550 hurmm i will look into it. 4870 in CF? why not buy a new one to replace the current one? can u tell me the reason for it? just want to know more... :wahoo:

Unless you're playing on a giant monitor or trying to impress people with benchmark results, a q9550 and a single 4870 are plenty. I've had that exact setup for 2+ years and have yet to find a single game where the playing experience is anything less than perfect. I would just save the $150 and stick to a single card for now.

Any HD 4870 should work, save money by buying the 512 MB version. What games are you playing, and at what resolution? Because capt taco might be right, one HD 4870 could be enough if you're not playing Crysis or Metro etc.

I play Crysis on this machine and it does fine. I'm only using a 1400-pixel monitor though. It's when you get up into the 1900+ full-HD resolutions that a single 4870 could bog down. Or if you turn all the eye candy on (ultra-high detail and AA settings). But it will play the game flawlessly and give you a great experience otherwise.

bobb_86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

i play a lot of FPS games.. on samsung T260 at 1900resolution.. i do play Crysis with this specs (but at high setting only) and it did play fine. with Crysis 2 coming out at late this year kind a make me wonder can my machine handle it at high setting..

Crysis 2 is supposed to have lower system requirements than the first. The original Crysis is only so demanding on your system because it was one of the most horribly optimized games of all time.

That monitor IS in the edge of the zone where you could see some performance slowing, but I wouldn't imagine it would be much, and only in extreme cases. Basically, I would wait and see -- don't buy the second card unless you start getting performance you're not happy with from the single card. If you're unhappy, you can always spend the money later.

Solution

bobb_86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

i do agree with u with game playing experience thing.. just want to make sure it can handle Crysis 2. do you think this setup can handle Crysis 2? without upgrading?

bobb_86

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

really? lower system requirements than the first? guest i just wait and see. maybe at that time price on q550 and hd4870 will drop much lower. this will be a plus.. thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.