Sign in with
Your question

Fuzzy desktop on 32" LCD TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2010 9:21:46 AM

Hello,

I have a 32" Samsung LA32B450C4 hooked up to my PC over HDMI (using DVI2HDMI adapter that came with the card). With any resolution set through CCC the desktop looks fuzzy. Games look great at all resolutions.

The native res of the TV is 1366x768 and I read somewhere that TVs with this res don't report it in EDID (only resolutions upto 1280x720 are reported).

I understand that the picture will look fuzzy unless I set the display's native res. But I could not find 1366x768 in Catalyst Control Center and there's no option to add a custom resolution (unlike NVIDIA control panel).

MS control panel displays a max resolution of 1920x1080. Is there any way to get crisp text and desktop??

System Config:
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
ATI HD 4850 512 MB
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Samsung LA32B450C4

Thanks in advance for the replies

More about : fuzzy desktop lcd

June 1, 2010 1:44:49 PM

I have the same problem before with my LG 32" full HD TV. When I use HDMI, the desktop never look good so I ended up connecting via RGB ( D-Sub) which is much better.

I now have a full HD monitor that I connected using the same PC before and this time it works fine. I believe that somehow the TV does not take properly from a PC via HDMI. But I read a thread where Crashman said that with a lot of tinkering, he is able to get his TV works fine via HDMI with his PC. I tried as he said but still can not make it so I guess it depends.
June 2, 2010 3:32:54 AM

randomkid said:
I have the same problem before with my LG 32" full HD TV. When I use HDMI, the desktop never look good so I ended up connecting via RGB ( D-Sub) which is much better.

I now have a full HD monitor that I connected using the same PC before and this time it works fine. I believe that somehow the TV does not take properly from a PC via HDMI. But I read a thread where Crashman said that with a lot of tinkering, he is able to get his TV works fine via HDMI with his PC. I tried as he said but still can not make it so I guess it depends.

Can you direct me to Crashman's thread please??
Related resources
June 2, 2010 5:53:53 AM

Got the solution. You have to connect to HDMI 1 port for DVI/HDMI adapter connections.

"Use the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack for DVI connection to an external device. Use a DVI to HDMI cable or DVI-HDMI adapter (DVI to HDMI) for video connection and the PC/DVI AUDIO IN jacks for audio. When using an HDMI / DVI cable connection, you must use the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack.
June 2, 2010 10:41:01 AM

jithint said:
Got the solution. You have to connect to HDMI 1 port for DVI/HDMI adapter connections.

"Use the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack for DVI connection to an external device. Use a DVI to HDMI cable or DVI-HDMI adapter (DVI to HDMI) for video connection and the PC/DVI AUDIO IN jacks for audio. When using an HDMI / DVI cable connection, you must use the HDMI IN 1(DVI) jack.

Good for you it work. Mine didn't even if I did plug it in the HDMI IN 1(DVI) of my LG TV. I was suspecting the HDMI cable might be the cause because although it was not cheap, it is not the best quality either. But as it turned out, it works fine in my other monitor so it must be the TV after all.
June 2, 2010 11:03:29 AM

randomkid said:
Good for you it work. Mine didn't even if I did plug it in the HDMI IN 1(DVI) of my LG TV. I was suspecting the HDMI cable might be the cause because although it was not cheap, it is not the best quality either. But as it turned out, it works fine in my other monitor so it must be the TV after all.

Tell me the model of your LG TV
June 2, 2010 11:23:34 AM

jithint said:
Tell me the model of your LG TV

Its an 32LG53R. 32" as the model implies. My 22" monitor that where the HDMI works fine is an LG E2250V.
June 3, 2010 5:31:17 AM

randomkid said:
Its an 32LG53R. 32" as the model implies. My 22" monitor that where the HDMI works fine is an LG E2250V.

I went through LG's manual and it says there clearly that HDMI2 and HDMI 3 ports do not support DVI signals. You have to connect to HDMI1/DVI for DVI signals.
"HDMI2, HDMI3(except 32/37LG6***, 32/42LG8***) source does not support DVI source."
June 3, 2010 8:36:19 AM

jithint said:
I went through LG's manual and it says there clearly that HDMI2 and HDMI 3 ports do not support DVI signals. You have to connect to HDMI1/DVI for DVI signals.
"HDMI2, HDMI3(except 32/37LG6***, 32/42LG8***) source does not support DVI source."

Thanks for your efforts. But I plugged my PC to HDMI1/DVI from the beginning. :) 
Don't worry. I am happy with my set up now. The RGB connection does not have any discernable difference with a DVI to DVI connection I have with my other full HD monitor.
!