Unplugged PSU while on, now no anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom9894

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I accidentally unplugged my PC while it was on.
PSU is a OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
OCZ500MXSP on Newegg

Now, nothing. I tried turning the PSU off with its switch and waited for well over the 1 second that the owner's manual specifies if the overload protection has been tripped. Switched cords. Thinking I might try pulling the PSU out of my old Dell to try it, that's the only other PSU I have, but haven't tried that yet. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
-Luke

Solution
I think you somehow fried your PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short...

thom9894

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

No fans whatsoever. No HD spinup. No lights on the case fans (Antec 300 Illusion). At work so can't check for lights on the mobo.

-Luke

I think you somehow fried your PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Solution

thom9894

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I'm not sure what went wrong. I wonder if it was the OCZ protection system not working not quite right... What I did:
Unplugged OCZ PSU from PC, turned on and then off (didn't connect green to black)
Plugged in my old 305W PSU to the mobo only... hit power and it was alive.
Plugged my OCZ PSU into the mobo only... hit power and it was alive.
Reconnected everything, and PC works fine.

No idea! Thanks for the response, got me to trying the things I did :)

-Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.