Internet Explorer will not open multiple windows

When I try to open up more than one instance of Internet Explorer the open
window closes once the new window opens. Any ideas where this could be
changed from?
2 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer open multiple windows

    You might have better luck getting the correct answer to your
    questions by posting it in one of the Internet Explorer
    newsgroups. Here's the one for general questions:

    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&sloc=en-us

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open up more than one instance of Internet
    > Explorer the open
    > window closes once the new window opens. Any ideas where this
    > could be
    > changed from?

    Hi Brian,

    The Reuse windows for launching shortcuts setting is used to determine
    whether a new or existing instance of Internet Explorer is used when
    exploring a Web site using one of the following methods:

    • Double-clicking an Internet shortcut (.url file) from within Windows
    Explorer.
    • Opening a URL by clicking Start, and then clicking Run.
    • Using a desktop toolbar, such as the Address or Links bar.

    When this setting is selected, an open instance of Internet Explorer is used
    to display any Web site loaded using the above methods. If the setting is
    cleared, then the above methods start a new instance of Internet Explorer.

    Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options. In the Advanced tab,
    uncheck the option "Reuse windows for launching Shortcuts."

    Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in Internet
    Explorer 5.01:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

    Other possibilities and solutions, read the note below - From Don Varnau,
    MVP:

    <quote>
    You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
    something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
    Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

    You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
    uninstall the program.

    BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find the
    offending program/BHO.

    Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
    (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    Also note the security tips on that page.

    Additional information at:
    The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

    </quote>

    Ref:
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.3864%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open up more than one instance of Internet Explorer the open
    > window closes once the new window opens. Any ideas where this could be
    > changed from?

Configuration Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP