Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel 520 SSD - Hidden disk space usage?

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2012 4:10:43 AM

Hey,

I just installed a new 180GB Intel 520 SSD into my rig to be used for my OS (Windows 7), and important apps. So far I only have Windows 7 installed, which should only take about 20 GB of storage roughly. Despite there being about 167 GB of usable storage, there is only 121 GB left of free space. So, obviously, my question is what the hell is occupying the other 27 GB of disk space? The total visible contents of the SSD amount to 19.3 GB, yet in properties, 46.1 GB is being used!? The only other visible partition I can see that was automatically created when installing windows, only amounts to 100MB, and that's the system reserve partition.

I'm really confused, does anyone have a clue as to what's going on here?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
September 9, 2012 4:20:53 AM

http://windirstat.info/

You an try this out and see if maybe you can find something that might be on your computer. What does it say in disk management? I'd check to make sure you don't have any unallocated partitions and check to make sure you don't have a quota enabled.
m
l

Best solution

October 25, 2012 6:49:46 AM

I bet it has something to do with pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. You can check the existence and size of those files by going to the disk where Windows is installed (in your case your SSD, probably), and via folder options, enable displaying of protected system files. To do so, go to your windows disk (probably C:) , hit Alt on your keyboard so that the extra menu shows up, click extra > folder options > tab display > untick the box that sais something like 'hide protected operating system files (recommended)'. Sorry, my windows 7 version is not English so im not sure if it's litterely called like that.

Pagefile.sys is a file that Windows uses as virtual memory. You can adjust how much disk space Windows can use via (windows 7) right-click on Computer > Properties > Advanced system properties > Tab 'advanced' > Under performance, click settings > tab advanced > under virtual memory, click change. There you can uncheck the box at the top, and tick the upper radio button. use 1024MB as starting size and 10240 as max size. Then click Apply/Set. Click OK, you are warned that you should reboot. Keep clicking OK until windows asks if you want to reboot. Do so.

The hiberfil.sys file is used by windows to store your Windows session. This is needed if you want to hibernate your system. However, seeing that you have an SSD, hibernate really hasn't that much value over a simple cold boot. So you can remove the hibernate funcion from Windows. To do so, open an elevated command prompt (so right click command prompt and click run as administrator), then type "powercfg -h off". Reboot again, just to be sure.

Now, if you open explorer and browse to your windows disk again, you should no longer see a file hiberfil.sys, and the pagefile.sys should be between 1 and 10GB. If you have enough RAM memory, it should only be 1-2 GB.

I recommend you hide protected operating system files again when finished.
Related resources
October 26, 2012 2:00:48 AM

Best answer selected by Artaekos.
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:01:43 AM

Thankyou for taking the time to provide such a potentially helpful answer. I'll try this out, as I suspect you are right considering that I noticed this about my SSD as soon as I reinstalled Windows.
m
l
!