Installed new parts, windows wont load

xxmeltingsunxx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Hey all, i just got done upgrading my system, i just dropped in an Intel Core i7-860, EVGA 120-LF-E651-TR mobo, and 4GB of corsair ddr3 ram(1600mhz) and for some reason windows 7 wont load. It gets to the "starting windows" screen(with the rotating colored balls) then reboots.....ive tried searching here and google, but to no avail...can anyone help? im desperate to run my new hardware.

ALSO, i ran the startup repair tool that windows suggested
after it suggested this could be due to a change in hardware...and it didn't fix anything

D

Deleted member 217926

Wait a minute you put in a new motherboard and processor and RAM on an existing install of Windows? And epected it to work? You have to do a fresh install dude. :na: That just might be your problem right there!

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi meltingsun , sorry to burst your bubble , but not only do you need a fresh

install, your old key might actually be rejected after 30 days (or during activation)

because windows may just not recognize this as the same machine --- I hope that

does'nt happen though---fingers crossed.

AndyC682

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
if your key does get rejected it will give you the option to activate over the phone. Do This.

As long as your version of windows is installed on only 1 machine the phone activation will work.

After i clean installed windows7 on my new rig (new mobo & cpu, old HDD) i had to re-activate via phone so i know this works :)

xxmeltingsunxx

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys, i didn't realize windows kept track of the machine it was installed on, is there a reason to this? I just got done re installing windows and my machine booted up like a charm, i'm so excited to use my new hardware. I'm glad it was such an easy fix because my old setup is going into my moms computer and now i'm prepared to avoid this problem!!

Thanks again everyone!

AndyC682

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

The reseon is money :) its to stop you using a 1 pc license on mutiple pc's

TRENDING THREADS