Underclocked card works

chico1st

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
can anyone explain why my 5770 will work if underclocked but not if its stock clocked?
It crashes while playing games if it isnt underclocked. Also my computer freezes on startup sometimes, which i figure is before the underclocking is done by the computer.

I figure it uses less power when underclocked and maybe my PSU is a little short (but its ATI 4870 certified and i have a 5770 which is less power)

I cant think of anything else

Solution
it could be bad card, or very bad ventilated case, or you live in africa and its 50C usually.

I will bet on faulty card. However list your specs here. PSU can be cause if its not enough.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
it could be bad card, or very bad ventilated case, or you live in africa and its 50C usually.

I will bet on faulty card. However list your specs here. PSU can be cause if its not enough.

Solution

chico1st

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
CPU: X3 440
RAM: OCZ 4GB 1600 DDR3 OCZ3X1600R2LV4GK
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 941BW
PSU: SST-ST56F
prod_specs.jpg

MOBO: GA-770TA-UD3

Hmmm well that PSU isn't great but it should still at least run so I'm thinking faulty GPU.

Just FYI, I brought my 5850 into the store I bought it briefly to check it out and they plugged it into an old rig with I think a 300W PSU and it booted up to windows fine.

Booting up and playing games are two different things. When stressed a video card's power consumption will spike. Kinda like keeping you card in idle, then accelerlating up to 65mph+; your gas consumption will increase.

Agreed but the freezing at startup is what I'm going on.

That PSU should certainly be enough but you may have a faulty unit. Hard to tell whether it is the card or the PSU really without isolating them. Do you know someone else with a computer with an acceptable PSU that would let you install the card to test it?
You also may want to try reinstall the drivers. Uninstall and run driver sweeper in safe mode then reboot and install the latest Catalyst Control Center from the AMD site.