5770 vs 5850 for WoW (Open to other suggestions as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hello,

A few months ago when money was tight I built a system to kind of hold me over until I had a better budget. Here are the specs:

AMD Regor 240 (Upgrading to either Propus 620 or Phenom II 955) (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16819103688)

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (Not sure if I should upgrade this or not, just getting a single card for now) (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394)

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS (Should probably upgrade this, but it was free at the time I got it.) (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817152028)

2 GB RAM (left over parts from previous things, definitely upgrading this.)

Just running integrated graphics right now, so no graphics card.

Anyways, I will mainly be using the computer (graphically, at least) for playing WoW, I may also try out a few other games here and there, but I usually just play other games on my 360. I will, however, definitely play Diablo 3 when it comes out.

I play at 1920 x 1080, and would prefer max settings (minus shadows if needed).

I will be able to order on June 10th, and have an unlimited budget at the moment, but would prefer to keep it as low as I can.

My main question is, would a 5770 be good enough for just playing WoW @ 1920 x 1080, or would I need to get a 5850?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Solution
A 5770 should be totally fine. WoW isn't that big of a GPU hog. Back when I played it, on my old PC, I was running it on an 8600GT and it worked just fine never any big slow downs... and a 5770 is WAAAYYYY better. Plus you'll still be getting DX11 :D
A 5770 should be totally fine. WoW isn't that big of a GPU hog. Back when I played it, on my old PC, I was running it on an 8600GT and it worked just fine never any big slow downs... and a 5770 is WAAAYYYY better. Plus you'll still be getting DX11 :D

Solution
For WoW the 5770 is absolutely plenty.

For Diablo 3 (or other new titles) I'd suggest an ATI 5850 @ 1920x1080. That way you can actually set everything to high/max and sustain high average FPS.

Definitely upgrade to 4GB of RAM, as you'll be wanting that when you start gaming.

xydin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Alright, thanks for the help. ^^

I have one other question, it's off topic, but if I can get it answered here without making another thread that would be great.

I know on paper the Phenom II 955 is better than a Propus 635, but realistically would I see much difference between the two? I can overclock, and the only things I normally use my computer for are WoW, internet, music, and video.

I've never heard of a Propus 635, but the Phenom II 955 is very highly rated for a great gaming CPU and awesome for the price/performance.

And agreed upgrade to 4gb RAM for certain. I guess it depends what you're running but you generally want the RAM to be identical - if not same brand at least rated to the same speeds and timings. But really, 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz is around $125 and it's super fast so I'd say just get a set and get rid of the old stuff (unless it's really good I guess lol)

jeffredo

Distinguished
WoW is much more CPU dependent and the X4 955 is good bit stronger than the X4 635. I have an X4 955 @ 3.4Ghz paired with an OC'd GTX 260. Even at 1680x1050 I still bog down in Dalaran at prime time quite a lot (30-35 FPS). I certainly wouldn't want to go lower than that.

Keep in mind, games like WoW are very latency dependent. Although it can be very CPU dependent (especially if you install several mods), overall latency can have a massive affect on performance as your CPU/GPU are waiting for data to come in. This can have an adverse affect on FPS as well. WoW is notorious for becoming laggy in large raids (especially during combat with a lot of particles) and in large city environments where a lot of people are present. Latency becomes a much bigger issue in these cases. :)

Based purely on graphics and such, an X4 955 + GTX 260 should destroy WoW. But it doesn't always work like that. :) Also, I don't think WoW is optimized at all for multi-core. So a faster CPU clock speed probably helps more than multiple cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.