[Question] OS Installation

Brucey_Bonus

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
This is merely a question for self-gain so I can at least gather some comprehension towards storage/OS installation onto storage(s).

My question is: Say I have finished building my PC, and I have an SSD boot drive (I want to house the OS onto), and an additional HDD (for general storage), when I build the PC should I first just install the SSD, boot up the system, install the OS, power down the system and install the HDD (and then finally create a new volume for the HDD storage later :S?) or install both storages to begin with, then install the OS, and will the OS then install onto the SSD, rather than the HDD?.

This thought has really been bugging me, and is really the only query I have left before I feel confident enough to begin building my PC.

When installing Windows, its generally recommended to only have the drive you are installing too connected. That way there is no possibility of something going wrong.
Then install drivers and such before connecting the HDD.

If you have both connected when you install, it will ask which one to install too.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I install with just the drive to be used for the OS plugged in. The other(s) can be in the computer, I just don't plug them into the motherboard.

I used to have issues not paying attention while connecting the drives and mistakenly connect the OS drive to port 1 instead of port 0. It also didn't help that for the longest time I had 2 drives that were darn near identical and confusing the two was easy. I actually still have them as seen in my sig, though they are now marked so I know which is which when I move them from case to case.

Brucey_Bonus

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Oh okay, I see.

Thanks for the reply (;