New Seagate 3T external HD came with 2 partitions: 2048 / 746.52 GB.

BefuddledDIY

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
New Seagate 3T external HD came with 2 partitions: 2048 GB and 746.52 GB. Larger partition formatted NTFS. Smaller partition says "Unallocated" and will not do anything. Larger partition will not extend to include the second partition. Second partition will not format and become a "Simple Volume". Is this an MBR/GPT problem or someting else? What do I do to use the second smaller partition?

BefuddledDIY

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

To answer my own question - use a third party program. There are some suggestions at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277170-32-best-partitioning-software.

skonk

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
hello
i had problem with my nas drive when clickig on it now it works but the back ground of screen shrinks goes black and graphics go blurey and slows down. not a whizz in pcs but dont know what to do i had put the new avg 2013 and firewall was blocking me from accessing my folder on the buffalo. please can you help me

I guy on another forum had this problem and segate emailed him the fix.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/3TB-now-2TB-How-do-I-get-my-3TB-Back/td-p/86942

Go to DOS command line (click on “Start Menu”, then type in “cmd” in search textbox, and hit “Enter”)

* Type in “DiskPart” in command line and hit enter.
* Type in “list disk” in command line and hit enter to show all disks in this machine.
* Type “select disk (the drive disk number in disk management)” and hit enter to set the focus to the specified drive, for example select disk 1 and hit enter. (1 represents the number of your disk in Disk management.)
* Type “clean” to zero sectors.

Go back to Disk Management, you can see the disk is “unallocated” now. Right click on "Not initialized", choose “Initialize Disk”. Then the drive should be ready to partition and format.

Now right click on the "Unallocated" area
Select "New Simple Volume or New Partition"
Agree with everything until you see this:

NTFS
New Volume = ( name the drive whatever you would like )

Then put a checkmark in the box "Perform a quick format"
Select Apply or start
When the drive is ready for use it will say NTFS - Healthy